Can you side load?

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream 4K' started by Dan203, May 8, 2020.

1. May 8, 2020 #1 of 78
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Is there anywhere in the UI to enable development mode so you can side load apps like you can on a FireTV?

Noelmel likes this.
  2. May 8, 2020 #2 of 78
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Noelmel and philco782 like this.
  3. May 8, 2020 #3 of 78
    Mr Flint

Mr Flint New Member

Dec 15, 2015
    Yes.

But, you have to use another app to install the APK.

In my case I downloaded "Downloader by TROYPOINT" from the store and gave it permissions to install apps from unknown sources. You can give Downloader a URL to an APK to download and then it will attempt to install that APK.

Noelmel likes this.
  4. May 8, 2020 #4 of 78
    eherberg

eherberg Active Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I assume those of us using adb at the command prompt would still have that option, as well?

5. May 8, 2020 #5 of 78
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Sorry, that thread is 9 pages long and I didn’t have time to read the whole thing

6. May 9, 2020 #6 of 78
    blacknoi

blacknoi Active Member

Jan 23, 2006
    apologies, went through the entire thread and somehow missed it. where do you enable the ability to sideload so you can use apps like adblink for example to push an apk not in the androidtv app store?

7. May 9, 2020 #7 of 78
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    No problem. I don't have this device, but on my other Android TV boxes, go to the bottom of the main screen, select the gear icon for settings, go to security & restrictions and toggle unknown sources to ON.

Incidentally, for @Dan203 who's trying to sideload Apple TV+, I've read that even though it installs, it won't run. But there is a workaround of loading the Firefox browser and running via the web site. Drawback, besides clunky navigation, is it won't do 4k.

One must have app for Android TV is Mouse Toggle. It allows you to more easily navigate web sites and sideloaded apps that weren't designed for TVs. Another is some sort of side load launcher for side loaded apps that don't appear on the main app screen.

It's a shame there are so many mainstream apps that aren't in the Play store yet and we have to resort to all this hacking.

8. May 9, 2020 #8 of 78
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    One issue with Mouse Toggle... it requires you to double tap play/pause to enable and the TiVo remote doesn't have play/pause. (stupid omission on an otherwise great remote)

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  9. May 9, 2020 #9 of 78
    philco782

philco782 Active Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Florida
    I use one of these with my FireTV stick, once paired up a mouse cursor actually appears.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BALK9CM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also sideloaded a settings apk from some random android installation but I'm not 100% sure it was needed to make the mouse cursor work. I think just having a pointing device linked via bluetooth makes a cursor appear.

I know it's not a Tivo stick but I'm just recommending a device that works well for me on another device, which IMHO for all intents and purposes, I think the two might be somewhat similar in being considered "yet another android stick".

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  10. cp2k

cp2k Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Can someone try out the Spectrum TV app to see if it works by any chance? On Fire TV it fails with a message about requiring Google Play Services

Noelmel likes this.
  11. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Doesn’t work. Once you get past the intro screen it just crashes every time

Noelmel likes this.
  12. blacknoi

blacknoi Active Member

Jan 23, 2006

Thats the thing (and appreciate you saying you don't have the device yourself), On the android homescreen on this device, the gear icon is in the upper right and is "general settings" it says.

When you go to security and restrictions, it has that exact section about unknown sources, but there is *no* toggle button on/off.

See my pic. Thats where I'm lost. Imgur

It mentions "no apps can perform this action" implying its OFF globally (no sideloading / no untrusted sources) but it gives no indication on how to enable it.

And I also have an AT&T TV Osprey box, so I'm familiar with what I *should* be looking for, but the toggle isn't here on the tivo stick.

13. cybergrimes

cybergrimes Legend

Jun 14, 2015
    Minnesota
    More recent versions of Android ask for this permission per-app, so malicious apps can't abuse the system setting if enabled.
    Have you tried opening an APK from a file explorer app like 'FX' to see if it works? All of my recent devices will ask permission for the app, kind of like storage, location, camera, etc

14. blacknoi

blacknoi Active Member

Jan 23, 2006
    I'd love to but there are no file explorer apps (that I know of, I'll be honest) in the current Android TV market whitelisted to show on the tivo stick.

Is there one? I looked for ES File explorer for example, but its not there.

15. cybergrimes

cybergrimes Legend

Jun 14, 2015
    Minnesota
    ES File Explorer isn't available on any Android TV devices afaik. Look for "FX File Explorer", I have that on my Shield and Jetstream boxes.
    Sorry I am just shooting in the dark a bit here, mine isn't being delivered until tomorrow ;)

16. blacknoi

blacknoi Active Member

Jan 23, 2006
    You rock, FX File Explorer is there, but the 'free' version says no networking! argh.... chicken before the egg stuff here w/o paying, if I cant use it to install from a network location, maybe I can somehow attach a usb stick to the usb-c input with my apk already sitting on there? ...

17. cybergrimes

cybergrimes Legend

Jun 14, 2015
    Minnesota
    Ah sorry I've had the license for a long time. "FX Connect" feature is just too handy.
    Try "X-plore File Manager" by Lonely Cat Games instead. I think that should do it.

18. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    This is what I used. I linked it to my Google Drive and passed apks from my tablet to the TiVo that way. Only thing it didn’t work for was a couple of the apps I downloaded were zip files, which are apparently split bundles. There is a special app called SAI you need to install those. It's UI is remote friendly so that's nice, but you have to side load it.

Only thing I couldn’t get working was the orientation. Some side loaded apps are sideways. There are apps that claim to fix this but the ones I tried didn’t work.

19. blacknoi

blacknoi Active Member

Jan 23, 2006
    that’s the one. I successfully side loaded att tv. Woot.

20. stuart628

stuart628 Active Member

Jul 5, 2006
    Mind shooting me some instructions or help please:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk