Can you set up two tivos in the same room?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by DrVali, Sep 7, 2007.

1. DrVali

DrVali New Member

Apr 18, 2004
    I've got a Toshiba branded TIVO with a DVD player and DVD burner in it, and I'm considering adding a HDTivo to the setup. The only DVD player in the room is in the current TIVO, and there aren't DVD HD Tivos that I can find, so I was wondering if you can set up both an older Series-2 type tivo with a HD Tivo and be able to use both at the same time without running into remote-control compatibility issues.

2. annenoe

annenoe He's a Smooth Fox

Oct 19, 2003
    Mountain...
  3. DrVali

DrVali New Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Great. I have a programmable remote so I should be able to use that to control both.

How do you connect both to the internet?

Currently, I use wireless to connect the Series 2 to the internet. Will I need a second Tivo-branded Wireless G USB card, or can I connect the ethernet ports together and share the one wireless signal?

4. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Yes you would need a 2nd wireless unit if you're running wireless. You connect both to the internet the same way you'd connect any multiple different devices.

I prefer the Tivo peanut, and they have the 1-2 switch built in, but I know folks that have used a programmable for 2 Tivos, but I never needed to.

5. DrVali

DrVali New Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Thanks for the info.