Can you record On-Demand channel on a Series 4 TiVo in this manner?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by buscuitboy, Feb 7, 2012.

1. buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I currently have a Comcast Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2200 digital box hooked up to a Series 2/DT TiVo in our bedroom. I have been able to manually record the On-Demand channel on my S2DT (ch1). Can then use MRV feature to send it to my Series 3 TiVo. I don't do this a lot, but it works so I can't complain.

Now looking to probably get a Premiere. Will then probably move the S2DT to work with a Comcast DTA box (in basement) instead & have Premiere in bedroom. Since the SA 2200 box is in the bedroom (& I want to keep it there), I was wondering if there is a way to record its On-Demand channel to a Premiere.

Could I simply have a A/B coaxial switch that feeds the Premiere? "A" side feeds normal cable (for cable cards). The "B" side is the SA 2200's RF output (& then manually record ch3 on the Premiere).

I realize while recording an On-Demand show on the Premiere, I will lose ALL cable reception & the dual tuner capability (as well as scheduled recordings) will be useless, but just wondering if anyone else had tried this.

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I think the catch there is that the cable box outputs analog channel 3 (NTSC).

Does the Premiere have analog tuners? Can it get analog cable channel 3?

3. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Yes; the TP can get analog Channel 3, but you will have to set up the TiVo on a cable system that has a CH 3 in operation, it does not matter if your on a different cable system just that you use the correct ZIP for a cable system that has a CH 3, 06117 will work. (you can't use the new Elite TiVo.)

4. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    The PPV show will have the title of whatever was airing on channel 3 at the time of recording. If there was more than one show airing at the time the PPV show was airing, then you would have multiple shows containing that one PPV show.

5. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    The Tivo will squawk about not having Guide Data for channel 3 if that isn't part of the standard lineup but won't it tune the incoming signal anyway?

6. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    If he uses the ZIP I gave him TiVo will expect CBS on CH 3, so the guide data will be for CBS but the program will be whatever is fed to the cable input on CH 3.
    He will have to use manual recording on CH 3 to set up things but it will work, but of course the TP will not be getting any HD on that channel and you will need a sub. on the TP.

7. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Sorry, I should have clarified what I meant by "incoming signal". If there is no channel 3 in operation and Tivo hasn't been fooled by setting a zip code that expects a channel 3, won't the Tivo still tune the channel 3 signal coming from the cable box? In other words, even if the Tivo has no Guide Data for channel 3 the OP can set it to channel 3 and get the squawk message, but I would think that the Tivo would still tune whatever signal happened to be coming in at that the channel 3 frequency. Or are you saying that the Tivo will only tune channels that it has Guide Data for?

8. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    TiVo will tune the channels that are available for any given cable system, If the ch 3 is not available on a given cable system, I never tried to go into the channel lineup and just check ch 3 and than see if it comes in.