Can you move HD between identical models?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by jfk, Oct 24, 2007.

1. jfk

jfk New Member

Sep 22, 2004

Advertisements

Here is my situation. I have 2 Phillips DSR704s and 1 just died. I put the hard drive from the dead unit into the functioning unit and everything booted fine, so I'm fairly sure the problem in the dead unit is the power supply or motherboard.

I just purchased a used DSR704 to replace the dead one and I would like to move the hard drive from the dead unit into the new unit, but I know that you get an error message when you try to do this. Is there any way to get the hard drive united with the new receiver so that it can record and play the recordings on the hard drive? Can/will directv authorize this if I explain the situation to them?

2. wedgecon

wedgecon Just Plain Awesome TCF Club

Dec 28, 2002
    Vancouver, WA
    No the shows are encrypted you will not be able to play them back on your new unit. You will also have to do a "clear and delete everything" once you move the drive to the new unit.

3. John T Smith

John T Smith New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Vancouver WA
    >get the hard drive united with the new receiver

That is the clear & delete wedgecon mentioned

>directv authorize this

DTV has nothing to do with the hard drive being replaced... while the hard drive is encrypted to match the receiver ID, DTV is only concerned about the receiver and access card, not the drive that is inside

As far as I know, there is no way for DTV to have any knowledge of the hard drive

4. wedgecon

wedgecon Just Plain Awesome TCF Club

Dec 28, 2002
    Vancouver, WA
    Sorry I was trying to say it is ok to move the hard drive and it will record new shows after you do a clear and delete everything, but as far as I know you can not play any existing shows on the hard drive on your new unit.

It may be possible with hacking but I am not sure.

5. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA

Advertisements

The zipper script will allow files to be transferred from Tivo to PC as regular mpeg2 files.

6. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    Only if he can revive the dead unit...

7. whitepelican

whitepelican Member

Feb 14, 2005
    It's not quite that simple if the box is currently unhacked. In fact, it's downright difficult, and I don't believe the Zipper will help in any way at that point (I'm not that familiar with the Zipper, but I have hacked many Tivos). Now, if you have hacked the box originally to turn off encryption before recording anything, then you could take the drive out of it and put it in any similar model of Tivo and still be able to play the recordings.

But as it is, the OP is probably looking at the only possibility being to swap the drive out and then do a C&DE. As mentioned above, there is no need to call DirecTV once you do this, unless it is to call ext.722 to get your local channels to show up.