Can you make a hard disk run quieter?

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by Phillip Chapman, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Phillip Chapman

Phillip Chapman New Member

Sep 9, 2003

Advertisements

I just installed a replacement drive (Western Digital 250 gig) in a Phillips 7000 with the Zipper.

The hard drive is considerably louder than the 40 gig that was in their originally. In my PC's BIOS, I can change the performance settings of a hard drive either for optimum performance (but louder), more silence, etc.

Is this same technique possible with the Western Digital drive in order to make it quieter? If so, would I have to put it in a PC in order to change its settings then re-zipper the disk? Or will it perform at the same “loudness” in the Tivo regardless of what I do to it in a PC.

2. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Some drive manufacturers have utility software that will make a drive run quieter. I believe Maxtor has an acoustic management utility that does just that. I'm not sure about WD, however.

3. Phillip Chapman

Sep 9, 2003
    Should I run said "utillity" before the Zipper install or after?

4. bob61

bob61 Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Shouldn't matter.

5. wscannell

wscannell Member

Dec 6, 2003

Advertisements

The acoustic management utility can be run at any time. Just make sure that you do not boot to Windows to run the utility with your TiVo formatted disk installed as it will write a signature on the drive causing it to not boot in the TiVo.

6. Phillip Chapman

Sep 9, 2003
    Hey guys, thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

Quick question... I replaced my drive a couple days ago. I wanted to now take it out of the Tivo in order to change the performance settings. However, the power cable is on incredibly tight. I've tried pulling it pretty firmly and rocking it back and forth but it still won't budge. I don't want to break it, but any advice on how to get this unattached would be most appreciated.

7. bob61

bob61 Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Sure you didn't super glue it in there :eek: A little side to side rocking should be all it takes.