Can you get a new receiver without a commitment?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Scott D, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Scott D

Scott D Active Member

Jun 17, 2001
    Pasadena, Texas
    I felt that this is the proper place to ask this question.

I want to do a 1 on 1 trade to get DirecTV's brand of DVR. What I have is 2 HR10-250 receivers and I wanted to trade one of them in for a HR20. I was told a long time ago that DirecTV would do a swap if you turn in the HR10's at no charge.

Now, the way I see the timeline is that DirecTV had already set in motion the cancellation of partnering with TiVo before the DirecTV's DVR brand ever came out. They also declared that they will be moving to MPEG4 to replace MPEG2 of which we all know that the HR10-250 cannot do. This receiver (HR10) is obviously a discontinued product that can no longer accept new HD channels. The new H20's and HR20's to my knowledge were not out yet. There are channels like Sci-fi, National Geographic Channel, Cartoon Network and NFL Network to name a few of which I cannot get and I am paying for nonetheless.

Definition time. The way I see it is this. I pay $10 a month for HD service and I only get about 40% of the channels. There are upgrades and updates.

Upgrades. This is where you have a standard definition receiver(s) and you now want the HD package.

Updates. This is where you already have the HD package except the receiver(s) cannot pick up the majority of the HD channels because of hardware issues.

Now, my question....Do I have to pay for another HD DVR receiver(s) to replace my pre-existing outdated receivers at my expense not to mention a new 2 year commitment? I thought we were grandfathered in to be able to replace these receivers at no cost to us since DirecTV changed its format. They want me to dish out $299.00 and sign a 2 year agreement with them. I asked if this applies to all receivers. The answer is "yes". DirecTV twice with 2 different people stated that whenever you change ANY receiver for ANY reason will set up some kind of commitment even if you buy that receiver outright. Even if you want to reactivate a receiver that was activated before requires to a commitment.

2. fmowry

fmowry Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I added an HR20 AND did the HR20 upgrade for my HR10 this weekend. The upgrade did not require a new 2 year commitment and the addition did require the commitment. I did not ask about the 2 years with the upgrade. The CSR flat out told me that this would not renew my equipment but the addition would. She then repeated the terms of our conversation including the commitment and said she was writing it in the notes on the work order.

Look at the HR20 upgrade thread in this forum. You should be able to get at least one box, and two if you "work it with the CSR" for the price of shipping. That will include a new multiswitch and dish installation.

Frank

3. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    fmowry... I would call back and double confirm that you don't have a comittment...

As it is very difficult to get any new system activated (especially for a non-repair reasons), without the commitment, even for an upgrade.

4. fmowry

fmowry Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Earl,
    It's a moot point for me as they required a 2 year commitment on my second HR20 which goes into effect AFTER the install of my non-committed (and confirmed twice during conversation) of the first one this past weekend.

Frank

5. Scott D

Scott D Active Member

Jun 17, 2001
    Pasadena, Texas

This is NOT an upgrade. This is clearly an update. I stress this point harshly. I am very upset to have to commit to a 2 year contract only to get a receiver that can get the channels of which I am paying for already.

How is this even considered an "upgrade"?

6. RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...
    I agree totally with you - they are coming out with a new video stream which requires new equipment. They should supply that equipment for free without any kind of additional 2-year commitment.

7. Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003

It's an upgrade because it receives channels from the new satellite. Either you want those channels or you don't. If you want them, you're subject to DirecTv's terms and conditions.

An update would update your existing hardware. This is an upgraded dish to see the sats and upgraded receiver to tune to them.

Be upset if you must, but you'll either choose the channels or not. If you choose them, the 2 years will likely be a non-issue. if you're not sure that you want them, don't get them. It's easy.

8. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    Isn't the commitment not that harsh anyway. Isn't it just something like $200 to cancel prorated over the two years ????

9. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    And they probably will do that....

If you are willing to wait till the last day there is any MPEG-2 HD left on the SAT.

No one is forcing you to change to the new equipment today.

Until there is a definitive reason that you have no other choice then to switch to the new hardware... you have an argument that you should get it for free... and that you should have to commit to anything.

As of "today" it is optional.

10. RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...
    $299, but that may be chump change to you. To my way of thinking, it's paying the bully because you want him to leave you alone. You're rewarding bad behavior. Why should someone have to pay for a product that doesn't even have a trial period if they don't like the product?

11. coachO

coachO New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    near...
    I had the protection plan and got a hr20 in place of my failed hr10. The guy said no commitment because it was a replacement. I called back two weeks later and sure enough, they signed me up for two more years. They said, sorry, nobody can cange the commitment.

ps. I really dislike the hr20, it is sitting in a box in the basement but I do have a "brand new" 2 year commitment.

12. RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...
    I don't have a current commitment, but as I recall they don't even have the decency to put it on the bill that you have a commitment and when it ends. That place must have a ton of lawyers to come up with all the shenanigans they do.

13. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    Getting a "free trial" is a different thing than whether you sign up for a commitment or not. I assumed you were talking about changing your mind 12 months down the road, not trying to bail after a few days.

you don't

14. MisterEd

MisterEd Very Large Member

Jun 6, 2001
    TV Land
    There is one way to REDUCE your committment to 1 year ... move to a hi-rise or condo. :) :

Move in to a multi-dwelling property (property type where there is a single system operator who installed and is responsible for the entite D* building network, not just an individual customer with a balcony dish) ON OR AFTER OCT 17th there will only be a 1year committment.

Before you all scream "unfair" in most cases multi-dwelling (single system operator) customers pay more fees then residential customers do due to the cost of the network. They also OWN their HD and DVR equipment, it's not leased unless they rent it from the sysop.

15. Scott D

Scott D Active Member

Jun 17, 2001
    Pasadena, Texas
    That's what I'm afraid of. Not too sure if their brand of recorders are reliable as the TiVo's are. Can I count on them to record my shows without any flaws? Not too sure. If it's crappy, then that means that I'm stuck with them another 2 years. Quite unfair. Just like you. You have (in your opinion) a crappy HR20 that you don't want, but they got you on a 2 year commitment anyway after the fact when they said you wouldn't get one. That's foul. DirecTV doesn't seem to understand how to keep their word and that's dishonest.

Realistically, this is what I think. I think DirecTV is applying the 2 year commitment thing just to lock in another customer because their brand of DVR's are terrible and unreliable. Notice that there was no problem with waiving the commitment with the DirecTiVo receivers. That name alone was a guarantee that you have a customer for a long time so commitments weren't necessary.

16. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    The 2 year commitment thing.

Starting about mid November of this year...
    The 2 year commitments for those that purchased an R15 will be ending...

So let's see what the numbers look like for Q407 and Q108 for churn, as there will be a large population of people "forced to keep" DirecTV being "released" from their chains.

Then the next "test" will be Q308 and Q408... When the HR20 "commitments" come up..

17. Scott D

Scott D Active Member

Jun 17, 2001
    Pasadena, Texas

Oooooooooooooo............. That gives me the shivers just thinking about it :eek: :D

18. JohnF

JohnF Member

Feb 16, 2003
    Southern...
    I just got two HR20s replacing two HR10-250s via the Protection Plan. They are refurbished units, listed as Owned, and no 2-year commitment. I already had the 5LNB dish installed a few months ago when I had an international dish added.

There is alot of misinformation, even in the Retention Dept. My experience is if you get an off-shore call center, there is an excellent chance for misinformation.

If you talk with someone who knows what they are talking about, they will confirm that if you have the Protection Plan, then owned equipment is replaced by owned equipment VIA THE PROTECTION PLAN, and no commitment is added. This assumes the equipment being replaced experienced a malfunction.

When activating one unit, the rep told me the screen had Leased set as default, but she transferred me to a separate card activation group that changed it to Owned. With the other unit, a few days later, the rep told me the screen already showed Owned status.

Probably some confusion arises because there is also an offer being provided separate from the Protection Plan to replace an HR10-250 with a new, not refurbished, HR20 brought out be an installer, who will also install a dish. Under this offer, the new equipment is leased and the 2 year commitment applies.

19. mikeg_ms

mikeg_ms Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Seattle
    I just use the simple rule of thumb.

Talking to anyone at DirecTV and thinking about DirecTV has a 50% chance of extending your commitment.

Talk about equiptment and that goes up to 85%