Can you copy movies on your TiVo to your computer?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by rasmasyean, Jul 28, 2011.

1. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    What format would it be in? Would you be able to play it in WMP or iTunes?

2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Where did you record them from? If from premium channels, e.g. HBO, then likely not (copy protected).

If you're on Windows, there is official free Tivo software to do transfers.

If you're on a Mac, the official solution is to buy Toast, but AFAIK, that only allows transfer-and-recompression in one step.. Can't just transfer it raw.

If you're on ANY of the platforms, including Linux, you can use kmttg or other third party software.

3. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    NOTHING is copy protected where I live on Verizon FIOS. Admittedly I didn't even really understand what it was until recently because I had never experienced it.

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can transfer recordings to/from PC or another Tivo, unless its copy-protected by the cable co.'s cable card.

If you never have transferred before, you need to go to your tivo.com and login to your account, under DVR Preferences, check on TRANSFERS and DOWNLOADS. Then in your Tivo menu, go to your network/phone screen and make a Tivo connection.

You can use Tivo Desktop (free), the Plus version is $25 and that just adds mobile devices and a few file extensions, such as .avi.

You can also get PyTivo which does more, pull (download), push (sends to Tivo), or you can pull from the Tivo. it also can be set for multiple folders, where as Desktop is limited to 1. PyTivo is more for the advanced users and Desktop for the novice.

5. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
  6. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Is there a way to push videos to the Desktop (from the TiVo)? Sort of so the Desktop acts like a "media storage"?

7. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    No, but the desktop software has an option to auto transfer an entire series.

8. vurbano

vurbano Member

Apr 20, 2004
    I have no problem transferring any premium channel. If fact that is about all I transfer for backup, usually HBO series to Bluray using FIOS

9. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Ha, lucky you! I just did my first HBO recording and it says "This recording is copy protected and cannot be transferred." :( I have RCN.

10. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    This is decided by the Cable company, most likely in consultation with the content providers. I use Comcast and they are now blocking both Encore and HBO, which are the two movie channels I get. I can transfer regular cable shows (ie. USA network) and the broadcast channels.

11. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    what's a shame is movies you've bought from a provider/Amazon are still copyprotected, thus can't be moved to your PC for storage

12. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can safely delete the Amazon purchased videos and remove them from the Recently Deleted Folder as well. You can go to the amazon.com site and have the videos re-downloaded back to the TiVo at a later date.

13. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Can you download it to "another device" though...assuming you're not going a TiVo forever.

14. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can download to any of you devices that are listed on your Amazon account.

15. myblubu

myblubu New Member

Nov 23, 2008
    I have Time Warner & don't have any premium channels (like HBO, etc.), but whenever I record any of the HD channels (like TBS, TNT, etc.) , I can't transfer them to another Tivo box, they are copy protected - is that normal?

16. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Time Warner, as a cable system, and as a content provider(owns TBS, TNT, and others), is very diligent in "protecting" their copywritten properties. Any way or time that they can legally prevent the copying of their material, they will do so.

17. myblubu

myblubu New Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Interesting.

the Non-HD channels (including TBS, TNT, etc.) are not copy protected, only the HD ones. I can transfer the non-HD shows between my Tivos.

I was going to complain to TWC about not being able to transfer the HD shows, but I guess that wouldn't go anywhere. I guess they wouldn't be interested in helping a Tivo customer not using their equipment.

18. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Most likely because those are analog channels. I can transfer anything from channels 1-99 with MRV, but anything higher than 100 (except for the local stations) is copy-protected.