Can you change the color space on the S3????

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by JimPa, Nov 5, 2011.

1. JimPa

JimPa S3 owner/user

Oct 25, 2006
    I have a Pioneer plasma TV that I just discovered handles RGB better than 444 which is what my S3 is putting out. Using the Spears & Munsil chroma pattern on an Oppo 95, RGB shows more resolution on my display than 444 does. I understand that this may very well be unique to Pioneer plasmas so you milage may vary.

I tried rebooting the S3 with the display set to RGB in hopes that the S3 would see it during the handshake and change the color space but no luck. It continued to output 444.

Any suggestions?

As a side question, I thought most content was mastered as 422. What's Tivo doing converting it to 444?

2. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I know nothing about color space but did some quick searches and YCbCr444 seemed to be referenced in a number of places as the standard for digital video output (HD, BluRay etc) while RGB was referenced regarding PC output and implications are that most consumer video equipment without options to set the color space would default to YCbCr444.

Scott

3. JimPa

JimPa S3 owner/user

Oct 25, 2006
    Which is kind of a problem when you have a display that likes RGB a little better.