Can You Burn TiVoHD Series 3 Recorded Movies to DVD (Copyright Issue)?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by crazee8, Feb 13, 2009.

1. crazee8

crazee8 New Member

Jan 30, 2009
    I'm talking about HBO etc. recorded movies. I have a Series 2 and can do that no problem - but am wanting to get an HD box and wanted to make sure it's possible before I lay out the $$.

I was surprised to realize that I cannot record any HBO movies from the Comcast DVR to a DVD recorder. Wasted a lot of money getting all that set up.

Thanks in advance.:)

2. TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    Most recordings can be transferred from TivoHD just like the S2 to a desktop where it can be recorded to a DVD. However the HD will prohibit the transfer of any show marked as Copy Protected. HBO marks all of it's programming as Copy Protected (along with other pay channels.) Depending on your cable company, you may find other programs marked as Copy Protected also.

3. crazee8

crazee8 New Member

Jan 30, 2009
    Okay thanks. I have a DVD recorder in my Series 2 so I always have just recorded directly from the unit.

I wonder if the reason I can't record an HBO movie (Comcast DVR) to my Samsung DVD recorder is because it was recorded in HD. Hmm..interesting.

I love my Series 2 but it's time to upgrade to Series 3 since I just got a brand new Sony 52".

4. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Keep in mind that if you're using a standard DVD burner, it's not all that easy to fit a high def recording on the disc.

You'd really need a Blu-Ray burner to achieve that.

Any recording on a standard DVD is in standard def, not high def. (Unless you get fancy with your software, and even then you'd have to use more than one DVD to fit a whole movie.)