Can xfer between 2 new XL's be speeded up?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by FoxWoodHarley, Jan 17, 2011.

1. FoxWoodHarley

FoxWoodHarley FoxWoodHarley

Jan 2, 2011
    Marietta, Ga.

Advertisements

I just bought 2 Premiere XL units over the holiday's and one of the reasons we ditched our current Comcast DVR's was so we could start a show on one box then continue it on another. The xfer process however is very slow. :mad: I'm running a Linksys WRT54G2 802.11G wireless router with TiVo wireless G adapters and before I consider going up to N I want to make sure I'm doing the best I can now and that the N will significantly increase speed. I also wonder whether a dual channel N will improve TiVo to TiVo xfer speeds. A Cat5 connection is not practial at the moment but I might consider it if speeds within and without my network would be dramatic. Dramatic is the key word here because unless the speed increase is dramatic then it might not be worth the time and expense.

I'm a first time poster so forgive my rambling.

2. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Houston,...
    I'm running a non-TiVo 'N' network and get around 54Mbps TiVoP to TiVoP. If you use the TiVo 'N' adapters (bridges) you should get around 90Mbs. This is due to the fact that the TiVo 'N' adapters will create a peer to peer connection between themselves. At least after the firmware update happens.

I stopped using the TiVo 'N' adapters because they put alot of extra traffic on the network.

3. GBL

GBL covert opiniative

Apr 20, 2000
    Twin Cities, MN
    my 3 series 3 TiVos are hardwired and HD shows transfer slightly faster than real time so that I can start watching immediately and skip over commercials after a few minutes.

4. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    What speed are you actually getting?

Settings&Messages -> Settings -> Network & Phone -> View Network Diagnostics -> Transfer History.

Hard to know where you need to go until I know where you are now. Post the speed of items 3 and 4 on the Transfer History Diag.

5. shaown

shaown Member

Jun 30, 2002

Advertisements

Using N adaptors or ethernet can get u to 90 mb --- which is going to probably anywhere from 3-5 times faster than G - depending on your real world throughput. Also, putting 1 on on Ethernet and 1 on G would help if that possible, having both on G adaptors probably halves your max speed to 27 mb in ideal conditions.

6. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    I have gotten as much as 93mb/s between two wired Premieres.

7. fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Go with MoCA (Ethernet over your existing coax). It's very fast and easy to configure. Everyone I've seen use on this forum and various HTPC forums has gotten very fast results (50-60 megabits/s). It seems that most people using MoCA get 90+ megabits/s between premieres. As a reference point, 18 megabits/s is about real time.

You can get some dedicated MoCA bridges for about $50 per

http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorola-NIM100...90490174199?pt=PCC_Modems&hash=item2c5a1962f7

Or you can buy some MI424WR routers very cheaply and configure them to work as dumb MoCA bridges.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1145636

Some people have gotten very fast results from wireless, but many people have wasted a lot of time unsuccessfully trying to get it to work. Do a search for "MoCA" on the forums and you'll see that virtually everyone that tries it gets great results.

8. jenz

jenz New Member

Sep 19, 2009
    I get ~80 when transferring between my 2 PXL. They are on the same Apple Airport Extreme N network, one is truly wired, and the other is bridged off the 2nd Airport in another room.

This is definitely fast enough, because once I transfer, my live viewing never catches up to the download so I never have to wait - it feels like streaming.

9. FoxWoodHarley

Jan 2, 2011
    Marietta, Ga.
    I can't check my speeds until after a download that's taking place at 2:AM on the 19th but will let you know as soon as I can get it.

10. FoxWoodHarley

Jan 2, 2011
    Marietta, Ga.
    Thanks to everyone's responses. I'll get back to you after I've digested all the input.

11. FoxWoodHarley

Jan 2, 2011
    Marietta, Ga.
    Hey CuriousGeorge, I just transferred the latest episode of The Good Wife in HD between my two TiVo's and it took 1 hour and 52 minutes at 9.0 Mb/s. Is that normal/average? Seems pretty slow.

12. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    That's crazy slow. You should easily be getting triple that with wireless G. My guess is you have wireless that's too far away or interference on the channel you're using. Try changing your router wireless broadcast channel.

The router control panel for linksys can be accessed by entering http://192.168.1.1 in your browser if you left the router at default - with a user and pass of "admin" (lowercase). Go to the wireless tab and change the channel.

1, 6, and 11 are the most popular. Try those first, but if you have a lot of other neighbors (apartments) with wireless, you may have to branch out because their use of those channels may be causing the interference that's slowing you down. I'd also use a 30 minute SD show as a test transfer so you can do the test quickly. Actually, I'd do a 5 minute partial SD recording so you can rapidly test the changes.

If changing the channel alone doesn't work, I'd look into flashing your router with DDWRT because you can up the strength of the router signal.

With a wired connection I'm getting 93-97mb/sec. A one hour HD show transfers in less than 10 minutes (the ONLY positive improvement the Premiere has over other TiVos).

13. b_scott

b_scott TiVo Fan

Nov 27, 2006
    chicago, il
    My two Premiere XL's transfer between each other over Ethernet/MoCA at the speed of 10 minutes per hour of video. I can't watch something faster than it transfers, even cutting out commercials.

14. FoxWoodHarley

Jan 2, 2011
    Marietta, Ga.
    Thanks to everyone for their responses. I've decided to update my Cisco G router to the NetGear WNDR3400 dual band router which I've found for $80 at Staples of all places. I only bought the TiVo G adaptors 3 weeks ago so I'm going to return them and get the N adaptors. By all accounts this is a good solution all the way around. Again, thanks for everyone's input.:up:

15. FoxWoodHarley

Jan 2, 2011
    Marietta, Ga.
    Thanks to everyone for their responses. I've decided to update my Cisco G router to the NetGear WNDR3400 dual band router which I've found for $80 at Staples of all places. I only bought the TiVo G adaptors 3 weeks ago so I'm going to return them and get the N adaptors. By all accounts this is a good solution all the way around. Again, thanks for everyone's input.:up:

16. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Did you ever figure out if interference was causing your bad Wireless G performance by trying other channels? If you have interference, it will slow Wireless N adapters as well.

17. FoxWoodHarley

Jan 2, 2011
    Marietta, Ga.
    Been fiddling with my new router over the last week and my last transfer was around 83 mb/s so I'm pretty happy, EXCEPT, now I have a new problem with my two boxes losing connection to my network. The loss of connection can occur on either box independently or together. As a reminder, the router is a netgear dual channel N and I'm using TiVo's "N" adaptors. The signal from the furthest box runs in the mid 80% so it doesn't appear to be a signal loss issue. Any ideas?

18. jwems

jwems New Member

Jul 6, 2010

Its a known issue!
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=462652

We've (us users) had connectivity problems with the wireless N adaptors since the new software revision (14.7XXXX) was pushed out in the last 2 weeks.
    They claim they're working on it.
    It's frustrating. I was rebooting 2 or three times a day. I finally went to ethernet-over-powerline and returned my N adapters.

19. FoxWoodHarley

Jan 2, 2011
    Marietta, Ga.
    Terrific. I've been eyeing TiVo for several years but couldn't make it cost effective. Now once I finally made the plunge TiVo releases bugging software. I hope it gets fixed soon or I too may have to return the adaptors along with the TiVo boxes. Bummer :thumbsdown:

20. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    If you set the tivos to channels you don't receive, and make sure you aren't in the menus, that can speed it up a bit. And as others have said, wired is just about always going to be better then wireless networking.