Can we just admit that the Comcast TiVo is dead.

Discussion in 'HD Comcast TiVo DVR (Archive)' started by Rebate_King, May 21, 2010.

1. Rebate_King

Rebate_King New Member

Nov 10, 2004

Advertisements

At least in its current form. Its been what 6 or 7 years since the deal was announced?

This is a pathetic joke. I have no doubt in my mind that Comcast is just stringing TiVo along, doing the bare contractual minimums, so that TiVo can't turn around and sue them.

2. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    I can get it here, but after using the Comcast DVR software I don't see why I need it. I had a Tivo for 6 years previously.

Comcast DVR seems to do the job and I haven't had any problems so far.

3. mkpd

mkpd New Member

Jan 29, 2005
    I have Tivo on a comcast DVR box and it works just fine. The Boston area was the Beta area and from what I hear it should be rolled out sometime. Have been with Comcst since 11/09 with Tivo the whole time.

4. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    My mom has a comcast tiro and loves it. She doesn't need any of the TiVo to go features or anything. She alsomloves that the on demand is built in.

5. Jun 2, 2010 #5 of 14
    Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish

Advertisements

Denver was supposed to be a test market in 7/08, it's still not available here...

6. Jun 3, 2010 #6 of 14
    rv65

rv65 Member

Aug 30, 2008
    I think there will be a new tru2way tivo premiere like interface that should be available for MSO's in general, but it only works on newer cable boxes. The current Comcast DVR's don't have the RAM and CPU to run a tru2way UI. I believe the Cisco RNG, Motorola DCX, Pace RNG, Samsung RNG, and Panasonic DVR is capable of running it just fine.

7. Jun 3, 2010 #7 of 14
    ADent

ADent Active Member

Jan 7, 2000
    Denver, CO
    3/15/2005 TiVo and Comcast announce joint venture
    1/9/2007 TiVo SW for Comcast announced and shown at CES
    11/2/2007 TiVo page goes live on Comcast website
    1/22/2008 first deployment of software
    5/19/2010 TiVo software still not available nationally. There are 14 (yes 14) threads with posts from all of 2010 in the Comcast TiVo forum - so it seems like there are about 10 units in use out there.

8. Jun 7, 2010 #8 of 14
    cypherstream

cypherstream Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Reading, PA
    Notice how not one Comcast rep ever comes on here to defend these types of inquiries. It's like it's a big secret project, only available off of a certain headend, with no plans to expand.

I would of loved to try Comcast Tivo. Too bad it never came to reality. It seems like it would be easier to do what RCN is doing, with REAL Tivo Premier's. They just have that special Seachange VOD app that allows them to get Video on Demand.

I would like a new colorful interface which harnesses search to pull content from all three places... Live and future listings, Video on Demand selections, and DVR Library.

Sure I-Guide A28 works, but there's so much that they could improve, especially visually. So would a Comcast or Tivo rep even dare to respond to this thread? I wonder if they even monitor this forum anymore?

9. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    I was one of the original users here in Boston area roll out.

The Comcast TiVo was not fully baked, in my opinion. It was certainly functional, and the on-demand implementation was better than the std Comcast implementation. But, for me, performance was an issue. I ran the unit side-by-side with my S3 - so it was clear to me where the Comcast solution was lagging.

During a couple focus group sessions at Comcast's facility, customers who were not already TiVo users did not really notice or care about the performance issues, but the handful of of TiVo users did. Also, I just did not like the non-native feel to the application/interface - kind of like when TiVo flips over to present online media and music...a real step down.

The facilitators, followed by a few developers, seemed aware and did note that were working on it. After about 6mos on my trial, a few changes were pushed over, but did not address performance. I think it was likely due to hardware constraints.

There was a Comcast rep on this forum during those early days. I have not seen anyone in a long while.

10. Dvhsskater

Dvhsskater New Member

Jun 15, 2010
    agreed

11. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    Dead

12. cybah

cybah Tivo Addict

Mar 3, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its not, I just had a friend move to here (outside Boston) and he got the Tivo DVR service. And my roommates still have it after 2 years.

Its just available only in the the Manchester-Boston & Philadelphia Regions I believe, whoever has certain Motorola DVR Boxes.

My roommate is a ex Comcast 2nd level tech and he said the boxes always had problems (mostly swap outs), so this leads me to believe that Comcast has only offered this to a limited market so they can beta test certain types of DVR boxes with the custom Tivo Software on them in the masses without trying it everywhere. heh and this was the result.

Overall its not a bad box, it could be better with a few minor fixes. Maybe the next box will be a custom Premier box or a Motorola box like I have with with fixes. The issue is more WHEN Comcast?

I know Comcast has been upgrading a lot lately with their Xfinity push, which is required (Boston has always been Comcast's 'playground'), so maybe it's just around the corner as yet another marketing ploy to get people to sign up and spend MORE money with them. (It's a 2.95, but you hafta have HD Service $9.95)

13. Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf Associate

Sep 19, 2010
    Toms River,...
  14. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I don't think it's dead. My mom has one and LOVES it!