Can Voice Control Change HDMI inputs like Fire Sticks?

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream 4K' started by pl1, May 13, 2020.

1. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    With my Fire TVs and Fire Sticks I can easily tell Alexa to change inputs by saying "HDMI 1". This does not appear to work with the TiVo Stream 4K. It may be why there is an input button.
    Only problem with that is some TVs take a long time to change inputs without being able to select the TV's enter button on another remote.

Along the same lines of thought, with the Fire Stick, if I press the home button, it automatically changes to the HDMI input it is connected to. This also does not appear to work with the TiVo Stream 4K.

2. ptcfast2

ptcfast2 Member

May 10, 2020
    It would require HDMI CEC commands and stuff to work properly on the device. Since the Stream 4K remote uses IR for the Input button, it's not currently possible + HDMI CEC on the Stream is a bit screwed up.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Do you have the little IR blaster thing for the Fire TV?

You can accomplish the same basic thing using a Harmon Hub, but it's an expensive way to do it.

ptcfast2 likes this.
  4. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    I have HDMI CEC turned off on my TVs. The problem appears to be that the TiVo Stream 4K only tries to search shows instead of trying to operate the hardware. I can see the search field come up trying to find shows.

5. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    I don't recall ever getting an IR blaster, but in my case, I have two Fire TVs, and one Fire TV Stick. All three of these devices will change inputs by voice. There is even a setting to "Change which input we switch to on your TV for watching Fire TV" under Settings> Manage Equipment> Fire TV. This is on my Fire TV 4K Stick.