can updates kill your LAN drivers?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by TeaVoChimp, Aug 1, 2007.

1. TeaVoChimp

TeaVoChimp New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Hastings,...
    morning :cool:

I've woken today to wonder why my Last Succesful was Sunday 29 Jul @ 02:57

I also noticed that my TiVos presence light on my router had gone out!

Whipped the lid off the TiVo (as you do @ 06:30 in the morning!) and I've got just a power light on the cache/LAN card, no link :eek:

What has happend?!

I've not been anywear near the bash prompt since getting my box online on Saturday, and I've been merrily setting up a million preferences from the onscreen prompts and enduring TiVos insistence that I appear to like really crap childrens cartoons in its suggestions screen! (when I dont! :eek: )

is it possible that any form of update it performed erased my LAN drivers?
    surely without LAN drivers I would still get Power and Link LEDS on the cache/LAN card?

...cant believe I've left it alone and STILL got problems! :confused:

ps: powered off and on and I dont get the Silicon Dust splash screen on boot anymore (or the words hacked in th system info screen)

TIA

2. Paperface

Paperface New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Thinking about other computers (and I may be wrong in TiVo terms here) but the link light isn't normally affected by whether the driver is loaded. Worth checking cabling and seeing if a different port on your router will make it work too, I'd say.

3. TeaVoChimp

TeaVoChimp New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Hastings,...
    ...been there, worn that shirt :)

tried the obvious stuff, but my hunch is that as the splash screen doesnt show either its fried or the drivers have evaporated off the drive somehow :(

4. Cainam

Cainam Tivo Evangelist

May 25, 2004
    Chester-le-S...
    A random thought...you did not phone Customer Services and ask for the 2.5.5a update did you?

IIRC (probably not, but I think the basics are right) that the main Tivo software is installed on one of 2 partitions. The cachecard drivers will be on that partition as well.

When a new softwre update is recieved, it is installed onto a second partition. Then it flips you over to say boot from the second partition instead - hence no cachecard drivers.

If you did not phone them, it is possible that your account was already flagged as needing 2.5.5a, and after you bought a new hard disk with 2.5.5 installed on it, the same things happened.

Just a guess! What does it say on the system information screen about your software version?

5. TeaVoChimp

TeaVoChimp New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Hastings,...
    hey Mr C ;)

nope didnt ask for anything, but perhaps as a new customer....first time updating...blah blah, I was ear marked for a change?

Right now Healeydave over @ Tivoland is replying to my email, perhaps he can confirm what version he shipped me on the drive (....was working fine, until Sundays update).

I must admit I didnt take a screen shot of the new drive and system he shipped (was way too happy to have finally made the connection! :D ) but I have the previous version screen shot and the current one, which is:

6. TeaVoChimp

TeaVoChimp New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Hastings,...
    ...well the man from TiVoland he say yeah! :D

in a nutshell, he ships with 2.5.5 and the TiVo mothership has given me 2.5.5a overwritting all the hard work....

Not to worry, few days and he'll have turned it around for me, keeping my current build but putting all the drivers back.

[​IMG]

7. Cainam

Cainam Tivo Evangelist

May 25, 2004
    Chester-le-S...
    He shoots, he scores :)