Can two Vox Bolts share a room and remote?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by lafos, Jul 30, 2018.

1. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    The older TiVos had the ability to carry a remote code, so that two could be in the same room, and with some remotes, share a remote control.

I'm new to Bolt, so don't know how this feature works.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Are you using Bluetooth, IR or RF?

If IR, then they don't care. If RF, they pair with any Bolt. If BT, I don't know.

3. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    A long time ago TiVo used to have a remote with a slider switch. So you could switch between two remote codes. But those don't exist any more. To use the same remote you would need to use IR and manually change the IR code every time you want to use the different box. It's easier just to have two RF remotes, one dedicated to each TiVo. Or to use a Harmony remote that uses a different IR code for each TiVo. Or you could just have two IR remotes.

krkaufman likes this.
  4. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I don't have the Bolts yet, so can't answer you. What tech does the Vox function need? I'd guess BT or RF?

5. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I still have a couple of those remotes, but I was thinking more along the lines of the Harmony. Being new to Bolt (they are just being shipped) I don't know which tech they use for the remotes.

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    No and yes.

You’re thinking of the Infrared remote address, which is still a configurable option in all TiVo boxes and remotes.

Unfortunately...
    • There’s no physical switch on any modern TiVo remote to allow you to configure two different IR remote addresses into a single remote.
    • You could use an ancient peanut remote that has the 1|2 switch, or use a universal IR remote that can be configured with multiple IR addresses; however, IR mode precludes the VOX voice control feature, and the older remotes are lacking many critical buttons needed in the latest TiVo UIs.
    • You could use a VOX Remote to control two different boxes, one when in BT mode and the other when in IR mode, but VOX voice control would only be available for the box controlled via BT. (This is what we’ve been doing for years, but with our RF remotes; IR mode controls a Mini down in the wiring cabinet, and RF mode controls the Mini at each TV.)
    So, if you don’t mind losing VOX voice features, a universal IR remote or toggling a VOX Remote between IR & BT modes could work.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  7. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'm sorry. I read your post wrong. You want two Bolts in one room each controlled by their own remote. That can be done with IR but it's easier with RF.

Voice requires BT.

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    All BOLT models and the Mini VOX can communicate via IR, RF (RF4CE) and Bluetooth (BLE, Bluetooth Low Energy; which differs from the Bluetooth used with the earlier Slide Remote).

Roamio models and the v2 Mini have built-in support for IR or RF; BLE support can be added via a USB dongle.

Premieres and v1 Minis are IR-only, but RF support can be added via a RF USB dongle; BLE support can be added to a v1 Mini via the associated dongle.

VOX Remotes can communicate via BLE or IR; VOX voice features are only available in BLE mode.

RF remotes can communicate via RF4CE or IR; the Slide Pro RF remote’s keyboard buttons only work when in RF mode.

lafos likes this.
  9. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

voice commands use bluetooth I think

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That is correct.

11. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Thanks for the very clear explanation. My newest TiVos are two-tuner Premieres purchased in 2010. I do have an original slide, but I use Harmony remotes most of the time. Maybe I’ll try to have a Bolt share space with a Premiere. Two remotes, but I’ll have to make do

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Three remotes, if including a Harmony along with the stock remotes for each box, but, as mentioned above, the Harmony should be programmable to control each of the two boxes via IR, allowing the other remotes to be safely stored away (unless VOX voice control is desired for the BOLT).

edit: p.s. refresher info:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018