Can Tivo software be downloaded into HR20?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by lancelot, Jul 28, 2007.

1. lancelot

lancelot New Member

Jul 8, 2006
    I'm wondering.... With the Liberty Media takeover of Directv, if Liberty decides to go with TIVO again, are we all stuck with the HR20 interface, or can new TIVO software be downloaded into the HR20?

2. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    As a technical excercise it's probably possible. If TiVo can get their software running on Motorola cable boxes I can't imagine that the HR20 couldn't run the software.

I think it's unlikely in the current environment. In a year or so as DTV is trying to migrate the TiVo holdouts, the Echostar case is settled, the cable deals have gone live, and the existing TiVo deal expiration is starting to loom the environment might be right.

The bottom line is that if you commit to DirecTV for two more years you should expect to be using an HR20 with DirecTV DVR software for those two years.

3. lancelot

lancelot New Member

Jul 8, 2006
    Thanks, though I'm sure many of us would love Directv to go back to TIVO. For me, the HR20 doesn't even qualify as a poor imitation.

4. RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...
    So I've read from others - but the DirecTV evangelists seem to think that's hard to believe. They always have folks over here telling us what modern marvel of technology it is. :)

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    lancelot ....
    Whether you like the HR20 interface or not, there's zero chance that it will ever have Tivo software.