Can Tivo play the wmv files that come with Disney blu-rays?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Jayboy3, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Jayboy3

Jayboy3 Member

Jan 2, 2010

Advertisements

I've been buying blu-rays (such as Disney ones) that have all three formats included -- blu-ray disc, DVD disc, and a disc with a digital copy.

The digital copy loads on your computer, and you're given directions on how to use it on a portable device or on your computer. I copied and selected Windows Media Player. I can watch the movie on my computer using Windows Media Player. It works.

Is there a way to watch it on my Tivo? What is the easiest or best way to do it?

I'm wondering if Tivo Desktop Plus would include this feature. I can't remember for sure whether I upgraded to Tivo Desktop Plus or not. It supports wmv, but is there a DRM issue?

And I guess bringing the question full circle -- if I have an enabled, copy protected wmv on my computer (meaning it's licensed and my computer is authorized to play it), does Tivo Desktop Plus enable that DRM license to pass through for Tivo play? It seems like it should -- just "serving" to the Tivo. It's a licensed machine playing it.

2. Jayboy3

Jayboy3 Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Bump. Bueller?

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    How is the file stored on your computer?
    Is it saved as an Mpeg2 file? If it is, you can transfer it to your Tivo directly using TivoDesktop.
    If not, you have to convert it first, or check into other methods to get files to the Tivo such as PyTivo or Streambaby.

4. Jayboy3

Jayboy3 Member

Jan 2, 2010
    It's a wmv.

Tivo Desktop Plus says it supports wmv's being played on the Tivo.

But I wonder if there's DRM on it that will prevent that.

5. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH

Advertisements

The "Digital Copy" versions do use DRM.

6. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    But if a digital copy can be moved to and played on an iPod or some other device, would a transfer to a TiVo be the same kind of thing?

7. Jayboy3

Jayboy3 Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Conceptually it would be the same thing, but the software on the digital copy asks you if you want to play it on iPod or Windows Media Player, then "unlocks" if for the one you choose. I chose Windows Media Player, and it works.

I'm just wondering if I purchase Tivo Desktop Plus if it will make it work for me, drawing upon the fact that I do have a "licensed" wmv.

I don't know how the advertised wmv support works on Tivo Desktop Plus.

I guess it's pretty simple --has anybody made any use on their Tivos of those digital copies that Disney gives away?