Can TiVo-HD control it's HDMI volume level?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by sathead, Sep 8, 2011.

1. sathead

sathead Member

Jan 12, 2008
    My TiVo-HD is connected to my TV via HDMI
    My audio is obtained from a soundbar connected to the TV via TosLink.
    My media player (Dune D-1) is connected to the TV via HDMI.

When watching the media player, it's volume control varies the audio level over it's HDMI connection to the TV and is effective in changing the volume to the soundbar.

Is there any way to have the TiVo-HD control it's audio level through it's HDMI output like the media player does so I don't have to mess with the soundbar's volume control when using the TiVo?

Thanks....

2. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    No. First of all, several of the models are THX certified, and a volume control on the unit would break the requirements of THX certification. Secondly, while not required, TiVos are as often as not used with AVRs, and it is the AVR's job to control the volume, not the source device. Barring that, the TV is the best place to place volume control. The TiVo remote does have the capability to control the volume on your AVR or TV. Finally, splitting off the audito bit-stream from the main bit-stream and then adding it back before sending it out on the HDMI port is not exactly trivial. It would add a small additional cost to the unit to implement the circuitry in order to provide a feature that is poorly considered in the first place.

Some of the STBs I have used (provided by my CATV company) had volume controls. 'Bad idea. It was a persistent, low level pain.

3. sathead

sathead Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Thanks lrhorer..
    Unfortunately, the TV does not control the volume to the TosLink output- it's a fixed output level to the soundbar. The Dune media player setup is perfect- it controls it's audio volume through HDMI if desired which passes straight through the TV to the soundbar.

Anyone know the std TiVo "peanut" remote has the ability to learn vol+ and vol- IR commands from my soundbar's oem remote?

I can do this with my Harmony One remote (set it up for the TiVo then have it learn the IR volume codes from the soundbar's remote)- but I just like the feel of the TiVo oem remote for use with the TiVo rather than the Harmony One.

Thanks...

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If the peanut can control TV power and input switching, but "punch through" to volume control an AV receiver, it seems it should be able to do the same with a soundbar substituted for the AV reciever.

What brand is the soundbar?

5. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    As far as I know the standard "peanut" remote is not a learning remote, only the TiVo Glow remote has that ability.

That said, it's possible that one of the built in TV/receiver IR codes on the peanut could work with your soundbar. You could see in the manifacture was listed in the TiVo's Remote AV setup list. (Or try googling to see if someone else has figured out a compatible remote code)