Can Tivo be used to monitor computer activity?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by temp_user, May 11, 2011.

1. temp_user

temp_user New Member

May 11, 2011
    Recently I have discovered that my roommate bought a Tivo Series2 DT component which he had connected to his tv and had a wireless network adapter hooked up to my computer. I know a feauture of the component is to be able to record movies from the internet. Seeing as how this is possible, could it also be configured to view my computer activity? If I'm using the internet or working on my computer in any way, can that be seen? whether it's recorded or real-time? :confused:
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I have never heard of a Tivo being used for this. I think your roommate could spy on you much easier using some other device (like a PC.)

3. takeshi

takeshi Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Tivo Desktop doesn't record from the internet or record internet activity/use. It's a utility that enables file transfers to and from the Tivo and can make media on the PC accessible to the Tivo. It cannot be used to monitor your computer usage.

4. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    your roommate will have to get his own pron ;)

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Next time only post your question in one of the forums.

Thank you.

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    This is where you're mistaken. TiVo doesn't "record" anything from the internet. It can download or stream content from the internet, but only if it's already encoded into a format that TiVo understands. There is no way for him to capture your screen or see any of your PC activity via his TiVo.

Dan

7. temp_user

temp_user New Member

May 11, 2011
    Thanks everyone for the input. I really appreciate it.

8. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Galleon has a Desktop app that will let you view a snapshot of your desktop on the TiVo. It's just a screenshot, though, not real-time.

9. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    Galleon has to be running on the PC to do that. Easier to hide a small PC camera if you want to see what happens on the PC