Can Tivo and a Spectrum dvr coexist?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by xberk, Jan 13, 2019.

1. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    I have a friend who is using Spectrum and the Spectrum DVR. They no longer can get the "whole home" dvr service from Spectrum. They ask me if a TIVO unit could be installed at one of their TV locations while the other TV is fed by the Spectrum DVR. Would this be possible?

2. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Yes but it's a waste to keep the Spectrum DVR.

krkaufman likes this.
  3. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Also the Tivo will be jealous of the Spectrum DVR that does half as much work but makes twice as much money - no commercial skip, no apps, no quick mode, fewer tuners, etc.

But seriously, dump the Spectrum DVR entirely and replace with a Mini and end up with actual "whole home" for a lot less money.

4. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Spectrum gave me a FREE 2 tuner DVR for a year... After one month, I gave it back to them and purchased a TIVO Mini. Yes, you can use both. But I wouldn't do it even for free.

My BOLT is years ahead of anything that Spectrum has.

5. mrsean

mrsean Active Member

May 15, 2006
    New Jersey
    LOL
    So true!

6. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Thanks everyone .. I was so behind that I didn't realize Spectrum has ditched "whole home" in favor of some new streaming solution that I don't understand. Meanwhile, my friend could go with a Bolt (and cable card) and a Mini to cover his two tv setup. He'd lose the Video on Demand that Spectrum has. I assume the Bolt Lifetime service would cover the Mini as well and that only one cable card is needed?

7. CloudAtlas

CloudAtlas Bryan TCF Club

Oct 29, 2013
    New York, NY

The Spectrum app on Roku or Apple TV gives you access to Video on Demand. It just came to Apple TV and I’m really impressed. If he doesn’t care about watching commercials he could get by with just the Spectrum app for TV viewing.

And Yes only the DVR needs a Cable Card.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Mini service is separate ... but Minis now include service in the price.

And a single Multi-stream CableCARD is needed for just the TiVo DVR; although, be aware that the TiVo DVR will also require a SDV Tuning Adapter, provided free by Spectrum, for access to channels allocated to Spectrum’s Switched Digital Video infrastructure.