Can titles be changed?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by delta888, Jan 9, 2006.

1. delta888

delta888 New Member

Dec 1, 2005
    I've checked the FAQs, and I can't find an answer to this question.

Got everything set up, and it went beautifully. Now I just have one question:

Is there any way to change the title or information of a program?

If, for example, zap2it is unhelpful enough to label 6 upcoming programs "Figure skating" -- mixing up various events of Canadian nationals and U.S. nationals -- and you would like to label a program by the more informative: "Canadian nationals: Pairs short program." It makes it incredibly hard to figure out whether you're grabbing everything, too.

Or, at the very least, can these be renamed when you're transferring to DVD?

Thanks.

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    There is no support for changing the title on the TiVo. My guess would be that if you are using either a built-in DVD recorder or TiVoToGo to burn a DVD that the displayed menu cannot have its title changed either.

If you have "hacked" your TiVo to enable adding hobbyist software such as TiVoWebPlus, then the title can be changed.

3. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I believe you can hack the TiVo to allow renaming. See underground forum.

You can most likely rename the show after you transfer to DVD.

4. delta888

delta888 New Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Thanks! I haven't ventured underground yet, but I'm guessing it'll be soon. :)

5. Redux

Redux No intent to annoy

Oct 19, 2004
    Once you've done a basic hack of the Tivo, a formidable-sounding task but really not so much, you can make a number of easy user modifications. Editing titles is one of them.

6. delta888

delta888 New Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Hmmm. My TiVo (Humax 800) appears to be on the list of "unhackables." Drat.

7. mumpower

mumpower New Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Knoxville
    There is a way to do this albeit a laborious one. Transfer the file to your computer through TiVo2Go. There, you can rename the file in your folder to whatever you want. Finally, transfer it back.