Can This be Done?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by michael1248, Aug 11, 2011.

1. michael1248

michael1248 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    I recently moved to the Colorado mountains and I upgraded my condo cable (Time-Warner) to HD for a whopping $2.50. CableCard install went surprisingly smooth. I thought that life was good for this newly relocated NASCAR fan. Then I discovered that my local Time-Warner provider did not provide the local Denver stations in HD. (A legality with their satellite provider is what I was told.)

Well 2 of the remaining races (Bristol and Richmond) are going to be broadcast on ABC. I would really hate to watch these races in SD.

My sister and brother-in-law live in New York and are also TiVo owners. If they record the races on one of their TiVos, is there a way to possibly link our accounts in order for me to transfer their recording to my Premiere here in Colorado?

2. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    In short, no... read one for a slightly longer explanation.

Billing wise, transfers only work if the two TiVo's in question are on under the same TiVo.com account.

Technically speaking, you cannot transfer recordings outside your local network without some very sophisticated tinkering. You'd have to setup a VPN bridge between your network and your sister's network, then theoretically it would transfer. The transfer would be extremely slow since it would be constrained by your sister's internet upstream speed and your download speeds. I'd say an hour of HD video at 8mbps (Average) would weigh in at 3.6GB/hour, pretty hefty...

It just wouldn't be pretty. :)

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Slingbox is your friend. *

* I don't actually own one, but I've read that phrase here numerous times. Might be worth checking out.

4. yoheidiho

yoheidiho Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Agreed.

5. itsdavetime

itsdavetime New Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Not legally speaking, there are ways to watch this (usenet).

6. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    TiVo -> PC -> tivodecode -> cross-country -> PC -> TiVo

but in your situation, I would really try to get an antenna set-up working. The TiVo will handle cable and OTA sources at the same time.

7. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    +1

Setting up an antenna is a more long term solution to get locals in HD and will give you a backup if something happens to your cable.

Good Luck,

8. michael1248

michael1248 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Already tried the OTA thing. Although they have digital transmissions, they're not in HD up here in the mountains. I think they get their feed from whatever TWC cable is getting from Denver.

Thanks for all the ideas