Can This Be Done?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by wyatt9696, Jan 13, 2006.

1. wyatt9696

wyatt9696 New Member

Jan 1, 2003
    WallyWorld, CT

Advertisements

i tried getting an hd tivo but the price was still out out of my range at this time. tried talking to several csrs and retention as well. i know there are some super deals available out there, but i'm not willing to grovel with any more csrs. they will give me a standard hd receiver for free, and an ota attenna setup. since there is such limited hd programming available, i don't have a problem still recording in standard def. and not recording high def.(make sense) is the standard hd receiver able to work in tandem with a standard dtivo unit, and is it worth trying this just to experience hd with no equipment costs?. what would be needed to do this setup if possible. i currently have 2 rg6 cables in the room for my tivo. any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

2. DavidS

DavidS Member

Sep 27, 2000
    Dayton Ohio
    If by "in tandem" you mean will they each work even though the other is in the room, yes. Hook them up to separate inputs on your TV. You'll need a third coax feed from the dish to get DTV to the HD receiver and a feed from the OTA antenna as well, although that can piggyback on one of the sat. feeds with a pair of diplexers, which the installer should have.

On the other hand, since there is little HD over DTV anyway, if your TV has a digital tuner, you can just hook the TV to an antenna and get OTA HD without involving DTV.

3. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    I ran a similar setup with a Series 1 DirecTivo and a Huges E-86 HD receiver. I watched the DirecTivo 90% of the time. I like time shifting more than HD.

-Robert

4. HogarthNH

HogarthNH DirecTV Addict

Dec 28, 2001
    Somewhere, OK
    I did this with an R10 and an H10.
    I pretty much only used the H10 for The West Wing and 24. Live TV sucks.

I'm much, much happier with my HR10-250.
    I spent $549 for it, then got a $100 rebate, and sold my H10 for $80 for a net cost of $369.
    Worth every penny.

If you don't want to play CSR roulette and don't have $300+, wait for the HR20.
    I don't think HD receivers is worth it without DVR.

H

5. wyatt9696

wyatt9696 New Member

Jan 1, 2003
    WallyWorld, CT

Advertisements

i ended up getting an h20, ota ant., 3 months free hd programming, no shipping and handling charges. the csr said if i didn't have the cash for the dvr, i could do this and upgrade to the mpeg 4 dvr, when available. not perfect, but i'm satisfied with what i got. getting installed on 1/25. thanks for the input folks.