Can the Tivo mini work with no internet connection if I only want access to my main Tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Michael Quinn, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Michael Quinn

Michael Quinn Semper Fidelis

Jun 22, 2017

Advertisements

I'm not tech savvy, want to get the Tivo Mini, will it work with no internet connection if I only want to watch my main Tivo and don't care about the apps, etc? A non-technical response would be so appreciated.

2. ukwildcat4life

ukwildcat4life Member

Apr 13, 2014

You will have to have an internet connection to use the mini....the mini gets its information and borrows a tuner from the host DVR via an internet connection so you will need to have your host DVR and Mini connected via ethernet or MoCA so they can talk to each other......

Michael Quinn likes this.
  3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Not to disagree, but the Mini will operate without an internet connection after the initial configuration. It will complain a lot. Same with the host TiVo also. All anyone needs to do to test this is kill your internet connection and see what works.

Since you will have an Ethernet or MoCA connection, what is stopping your ability to access the internet?

4. Michael Quinn

Jun 22, 2017
    I'm having a hell of a time trying to deal with Tivo and their foreign "customer service". I'm considering buying the Mini from another company just to avoid dealing with them, they're tying up my funds. But before I buy, given that you've said I must have internet let me ask this if I might. I have a tv cable outlet coming out of the wall, both cable and internet come out of that one cable. I'm not familiar with the term "MoCA", but can I plug that cable directly into the Mini or do I need to buy another modem, or use some sort of a splitter?

5. Michael Quinn

Jun 22, 2017

Advertisements

I'm not sure what "MoCA" is. I have a standard cable outlet in two rooms. In the main room where my Tivo unit is there is one cable coming out of the wall, it goes to a splitter with one going to my modem/router, the other to my Tivo. But in the second room I don't have the modem. Can I plug the Mini directly into my cable outlet or do I need a second modem or a splitter?

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  7. matsalla

matsalla New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    I think you are confusing "Internet connection" and "Network Connection" The mini does not have to have a Internet connection, but it must have a network connection to talk back to the main DVR. Normally network connections are done over ethernet cable like Cat 5/5e/6/etc (or wireless which is not applicable for the Mini). MoCA is a way to treat that cable outlet (RG6 or coax) as a network connection, that is why the mini has a connector. So in your case you will be using Internet on your Mini since you do have an Internet connection to your main Tivo, you just need to network the main Tivo and the Mini together, and in your case you would do that using MoCA.

David

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Wait, you *do* have Internet access for your home. So you just need your home network extended to your Mini location, and, yes... this is possible over coax lines using MoCA networking. (MoCA == Multimedia Over Coax Alliance) MoCA is just another technology enabling networking over a different physical medium:
    • Ethernet runs over twisted pair cabling;
    • Wi-Fi over the air;
    • Powerline via your, well, power lines;
    • and MoCA over your home's coax lines.
    Owing to the bandwidth requirements of TiVo streaming between the host DVR and a Mini, TiVo requires a wired connection, either Ethernet and/or MoCA, for both the host DVR and Mini, though a mix *is* allowed. (As an aside, Powerline may be a wired connection, but the technology doesn't reliably support the same bandwidth as Ethernet or MoCA.)

The main question, then, is... what model is your "main TiVo"? This info is needed both to determine if your DVR supports a Mini at all (4-tuner or better DVR required), and then also to determine if your main TiVo provides built-in MoCA functionality. If your DVR lacks MoCA functionality, you can simply add a standalone MoCA adapter at your cable modem/router location to act as a MoCA "access point," of sorts, to which your Mini would be able to connect as a MoCA client.

See this how-to page from TiVo (after you've reviewed the above "What is MoCA?" page) for a walk-through on getting your TiVo devices connected to your home network:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  9. matsalla

matsalla New Member

Jul 15, 2003

BTW depending on what model main Tivo you have you may need some other items to get the MoCA working.

10. Michael Quinn

Jun 22, 2017
    Thank you so much!! Great response!!

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    You're quite welcome, and good to hear.

p.s. ... what model is your "main TiVo"?

12. Michael Quinn

Jun 22, 2017
    We have the Roameo Pro... We're on the move today, running around but if you have any other suggestions they'd be more than appreciated. I'm half tempted to pay full price and order the Mini from a third party so I don't have Tivo locking up my bank account. We love our Roameo...it's head an shoulders above TWSpectrum!!

13. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    How is the Pro connected to the Internet?

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The Roamio Pro has a built-in MoCA bridge, and so, given that the Pro is in the same room as your modem/router and connected to the router via Ethernet (right?), you should be able to use the Pro to establish your MoCA network.

You'll just need to do the due diligence to verify that the coax outlet at the Mini location connects to the same coax plant as your Roamio Pro, and then get a "PoE" MoCA filter installed to secure and strengthen your MoCA network. (More on "PoE" MoCA filters >here<.)

p.s. You'll also want to note the specs of any splitters used in your setup, as you come across them, in case you should have issues getting MoCA working. People sometimes need to upgrade splitters and/or amplifiers to MoCA-compatible models to get things working.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  15. Michael Quinn

Jun 22, 2017
    My Romeo pro is connected to the Internet by a standard cable coming out of the wall there's a splitter one goes to the modem one goes to the television I'm sorry one goes to the TiVo. But in the other room where I want to use the TiVo mini there's the same outlet in the wall can I hook a cable that cable directly to the TiVo mini or do I have to get another modem

16. Michael Quinn

Jun 22, 2017
    Ummm, would you like to come over for the weekend? Seriously, thank you so much for all your help I think I've got enough to get started now. I'm in limbo right now with TiVo as far as placing that order for the mini because of their bookkeeping. But once I get that straightened out I'll place an order probably somewhere else and then I'll dig in. Thanks again for the help ‼️

17. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    A TiVo cannot connect directly to the Internet. If there is no Ethernet cable connected, it is connecting through your modem/router, either wirelessly or via MoCA.

From TiVo Central, go to Settings & Messages->Settings->Network. What does it say for "Type"?

18. Michael Quinn

Jun 22, 2017
    As soon as I get home.

19. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I doubt that this is the case. That's how your Roamio Pro is receiving the TV signal, which it is tuning for Live TV and recording.

The question is how is your Roamio Pro networked, to your home network? Have you connected it using an Ethernet cable to your home router, or did you configure the Roamio Pro for a wireless connection? You'll need to connect the Roamio Pro to your router via Ethernet, as a first step, to leverage the Pro's built-in MoCA bridging functionality.

You can check the Roamio Pro's network configuration via the "View network status" screen.

20. Michael Quinn

Jun 22, 2017
    Yes the Romeo pro is connected to the Internet through an ethernet cable from the cable company provided modem/router. But I don't have a router for the other bedroom, do I need to get one?