Can the DTivo work without the subscription?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by NinerK, Sep 22, 2007.

1. NinerK

NinerK New Member

Oct 10, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Thinking of getting a new box in the family room and sending the current one out to pasture in the garage.

Wondering if I will have to pay the monthly service fee and/or if I'll be able to recieve a signal on it.

If I can use it wihout the monthly fee, will I be able to record shows? Will it "stop working"?

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You have to pay a mirroring feed for the DirecTV service, that's all. The one DVR fee covers all DVRs on your account. Without DirecTV service (satellite connection or not), you can view existing recordings. If you chose to cancel DVR service, but retain DirecTV service for the box, I believe you will still be able to buffer LiveTV as well

3. NinerK

NinerK New Member

Oct 10, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks Classicsat; looks like my garage will be getting a Tivo!

4. John T Smith

John T Smith New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Vancouver WA
    While you do not have to pay an additional Tivo fee you do, of course, need to pay the fee ($4.99?) to have the access card active

I have 5 boxes in my house, 4 are DTivo's

I pay one DVR fee, and 4 extra box fees

5. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Thats the best part of Directv. You pay One DVR Fee for your entire DVR setup. No matter if you have 1 unit or 400....

You of course then pay a seperate fee for each unit. The first unit is free, after that it is $4.99 a Month for each additional one.

I think this payment plan is by far so much easier, fairer and even a child can understand it. Perhaps others should look at how easy it is...

:D

6. snickerrrrs

snickerrrrs Tech-no Guide

Mar 30, 2006
    Southern...
    Unless you are going HD you might want to consider upgrading to a bigger hard drive in your Directivo instead of a new Directv non-tivo dvr. The Directv dvr software is really poorly written and has a lot of bugs (you're only talking $5 a month for the additional receiver).

The hard drive is the heart of a dvr and replacing that (maybe a new remote too) will make it like new. When you go HD, then you might send the Tivo to the garage.

7. juliana541

juliana541 Happy tivo

Oct 19, 2005
    weston fla
    wow a $1996.00 mirror fee. :eek: Actualy they do top you off at 8

8. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    :eek: :p Now that would be a great Mirror fee right?...lol.

The 8 top level is for the Average Home User. You can have many more units than that :D

9. Televisionary

Televisionary Member

Oct 24, 2000
    New...
    Forgive me for being overly cautious. I'm transitioning from two DirecTiVos to two Series 3 TiVos, having finally made the jump to HD. And I have about two hundred hours of shows on my DirecTiVos I haven't watched yet...

So, I can call up DirecTV, cancel my service, keep my boxes (owned, not leased), and they'll play my recorded shows as long as I need?

Thanks!
    -T

10. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Directv/Tivo units: Yes.

Directv units: No.

11. Televisionary

Televisionary Member

Oct 24, 2000
    New...
    Uh oh. Which of these is an R10? :eek: If I have to send it back :mad: I'm going to have to figure out how to watch those shows!

-T

12. ForrestB

ForrestB New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    If there's a Tivo emblem on the unit, then it's a Tivo. The R10 is a DirecTivo unit.

13. Dawny

Dawny New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Wild Wild West
    I love this thread. I have wanted the answers to these questions myself!

14. Televisionary

Televisionary Member

Oct 24, 2000
    New...
    So DirecTV will want the R10 back, even though I paid for it at retail? It was $99, and I'm sure I was locked in for at least a year.

-T

15. Televisionary

Televisionary Member

Oct 24, 2000
    New...
    Well, I didn't get an unanambiguous answer, so I just called and cancelled my DirecTV service. DirecTV specifically said, without prompting, that I owned all my TiVos, including the R10.

They were polite and helpful, and didn't try to change my mind.

-T