Can TDP Convert Files for Burning to DVD?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by insomniac99, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Nov 2, 2007 #1 of 10
    insomniac99

insomniac99 Member

Jul 24, 2007
    NYC

Advertisements

Can Tivo Desktop Plus transcode .tivo files to a format that can be burned to a DVD? Since I already have DVD burning software.

2. Nov 3, 2007 #2 of 10
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    No. Desktop Plus is only designed to convert .tivo files to portable formats.

Actually, technically, .tivo files are already in a format which can be burned to DVD. (i.e. MPEG-2) However you still need special software to decrypt them and author them to DVD properly. If you're looking for something that's quick and easy I suggest you try VideoReDo TVSuite.* It can take a .tivo file and convert it to a DVD in a few simple steps.

Dan

* In the interest of full disclosure I work for the company that makes VideoReDo and I personally wrote most of the new code to support DVD burning. However I assure you that it is the easiest, and best, solution for converting .tivo files to DVDs.

3. Nov 4, 2007 #3 of 10
    insomniac99

insomniac99 Member

Jul 24, 2007
    NYC
    Thanks, Dan. Does VideoReDo offer all of the capabilities of TDP? More specifically, will it also let me convert to portable formats?

4. Nov 4, 2007 #4 of 10
    msmart

msmart New Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Use VRD to cut out commercials then use SUPER to convert it.

That's what I do and both work great!

5. Nov 4, 2007 #5 of 10
    Laserfan

Laserfan Member

Apr 25, 2000
    USA

Advertisements

And that other thing VRD gives you is the ability to edit-out commercials!!! Manually or automatically, depending on how "perfect" you want the output to be. Oh, and a simple menu structure for putting multiple episodes on a single DVD. And... well lots of other nice features.

I don't work for VRD, just a satisfied user... :up:

6. Nov 4, 2007 #6 of 10
    CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    No. VideoReDo TV Suite only does the commercial editing and DVD burning. You need Desktop plus or another conversion program for conversion for portables.

7. Nov 5, 2007 #7 of 10
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    For now! Conversion to portable formats is high on our list of future features, so keep an eye out for that.

Dan

8. Dec 7, 2007 #8 of 10
    insomniac99

insomniac99 Member

Jul 24, 2007
    NYC
    Sorry, I'm sure this is a very basic question. But I've just downloaded a trial version of VRD. I've used it to convert .tivo files to .mpg and .vob files. Now what application do I need to turn those files into actual DVDs?

9. Dec 7, 2007 #9 of 10
    dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I use Nero Vision Express3 found in an oem version of Nero that came with my burner.

I think the only program officially santioned by Tivo for burning is Roxio.

There is a very long, but old thread in this forum discussing the details of various burning strategies.

Here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=300614

VideoRedo has an upgrade version called VideoRedo suite that apparently also has a very good buning program. I don't know if there is a trial version though. It is pretty recent so may not be mentioned in the link above.

If you will be doing a lot of editing, burning, etc., VideoRedo is undoubtably the best option.

If you just need to burn an occasional show every now and then, like me, Nero is great. Especially if you have a free oem version laying around. It can even edit although it is a little cumbersome.

10. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Sorry for the confusion, but you need VideoReDo TVSuite to burn a DVD. You can download a beta version here...

http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/showthread.php?t=5363

It should work in a trial mode just like the version you have. However I'm not privy to all the licensing terms, you may need to be a licensed owner of Plus for the trial of TVSuite to work. But give it a try and see. It's easy enough to uninstall if it doesn't work.

Dan