Can someone with CABLEVISION NY give me an idea of their experiences w/ the S3?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by mrdazzo7, Sep 22, 2007.

1. mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    I know I've been posting a lot the last couple of days, but I just dropped $500 that I shouldn't have spent, so I'm just trying to make sure I understand what I'm working with. I've seen a lot of stuff out there for different cable companies, but was wondering if anyone could relay their experiences specifically with CABLEVISION in NY, and even more specifically in HAUPPAUGE. THat's who I'm dealing with so it'd help to know:

-How was the install? Were they times/did the tech's know what they were doing?
    -Are there a lot of problems w/ specific channels not working, or with more-then-occasional pixelation/audio drop-outs?

Basically whatever you can tell me about the experience would be great! I just bought the S3.

Thanks again, you guys are invaluable

2. Chimpware

Chimpware New Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Can't speak specifically about NY Cablevision, but I have NJ Cablevision and install went well. Issues with Tivo HD at the time made the installation take more effort than required, but had the software been ready cable card install would ahve taken about 1 to 1 1/2 hours for 2 Tivo HDs. As far as channels, I receive everything fine, no pixelation or audio drop outs now, but I have a Tivo HD, not a Series 3.

3. bdlucas

bdlucas Right side up again.

Feb 15, 2004
    Exurbia
  4. mrdazzo7

Jan 8, 2006
    Thanks, that's a great (long) thread...I'm only a few pages into and the posts are back in 06 when the S3 first came out, so I'm hoping the massive amount of problems people seemed to be having back then are ironed out for the most part, cause I'm getting a little nervous, hahaha

5. mrdazzo7

Jan 8, 2006
    Ok, so the appointment is set for next saturday (9/29). Should give my S3 plenty of time to arrive. I'm very nervous after reading through these boards about different issues people have had with cablecards, but hopefully I'm one of the lucky one's that goes off without any problems. Wish me luck

EDIT: Thanks Thom. The date's fixed...long night

6. ThomC

ThomC New Member

Nov 4, 2003
    First, let's hope you meant 9/29, or you may be waiting a few years! :)
    On a positive note, if you:
    -Make the installer follow the cablecard setup exactly as the Tivo instructions describes.
    -Are patient with this rather long process, (wait on the firmware update).
    -Are prepared for Cablevision to be late
    -Call the day before, for multiple [ie-4] cablecards to be brought, to be safe.
    -Use the tips from the other Cablevision thread for the guided setup.
    You will have a single so-so day, but many years of happiness with your S3