Can someone return to DirecTV on an older, HDVR2 Tivo?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by eric_n_dfw, Oct 20, 2007.

1. eric_n_dfw

eric_n_dfw Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Roanoke, TX

Advertisements

I'm considering leaving DirectTV for AT&T Uverse with the thought that if Uverse isn't to my liking I'll return to DTV. AT&T has a 30 day guarantee and no contract so I know leaving them won't be a problem (or at least I hope); but I'm wondering if the DirectTV people will let me re-subscribe using my old HDVR2 box?

I don't want to get forced into leasing one of their non-Tivo DVR's if I decide to come back. Will DTV allow someone to just re-open their subscription?

PS: In case it matters, I've hacked my HDVR2 with the usual: bash, tivoweb+, bigger hard drives, etc... are there any issues there if they ask me to buy a new smart card?

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I'd put the DirecTV account on suspension. This will give you time to check out Uverse, then if it is to your liking cancel DirecTV.

3. eric_n_dfw

eric_n_dfw Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Roanoke, TX
    Interesting, I didn't know they offered such a thing. How long can it stay in suspension?

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I believe it could be 6 months.

5. eric_n_dfw

eric_n_dfw Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Roanoke, TX

Advertisements

Cool. I may do that if I decide to try UVerse. I may not make the jump though, unless AT&T gives be some kind of bundle (voice, DSL, Uverse, wireless) deal that's substantially cheaper than if I were to stay with DTV. (DTV has never given me any problems in the 9 years I've been with them)

6. whodat1

whodat1 New Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Texas
    I just did this last week and was told since I was a 5-star customer (11+ years), that they would put me in suspension for up to 9 months. My cutoff date is 7/15/2008.

7. joed32

joed32 New Member

Jul 9, 2005
    I don't see why not, they don't care what receiver you use as long as they get their monthly fee.

8. SLOmike

SLOmike New Member

Jan 31, 2002
    SLO, CA
    Something to be aware of.

I have heard that when the suspension period is over, the account becomes active again. It doesn't matter if you use it or not. DirecTV will bill you for the service.

Make sure you cancel/close the DirecTV account if you decide to switch permanently.

-Mike

9. parzec

parzec Wizard of Oz

Jun 21, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    True - they usually send a card notifying you of the re-activation of service, but don't count on it. Set a reminde on your calendar so you don't forget.