Can Series 2 Peanut be programmed to control Series 1?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by technogal, Sep 30, 2007.

1. technogal

technogal New Member

Jan 30, 2002
    My Series 1 Remote barely works any more. I was just given a used Series 2 Peanut. Can I make this work with my original SONY TIVO (purchased the first day they were released :D) Series 1?

Thanks in advance.

2. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    Sorry, but no.

3. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    *drat* I was all set to say "why of course a Series 2 peanut can control an S1 Tivo.."

Until you said it's a Sony, and that remote is different.
    However I'm sure you can find the Sony remotes on ebay for not too much money.

4. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Or maybe use a universal remote? They might have the codes for Sony TiVos too, not just Philips or other types.

5. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    You could either get a universal remote with the Sony codes or install a backup image of a Philips S1 Tivo on your Sony. You could then use any Tivo peanut remote with it.

6. technogal

technogal New Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Thanks everyone. I guess it is time to buy that Universal Remote. Tivo says they have only provided Sony TIVO code sets to Harmony. I still have a backup hard drive of the SONY S1 which I plan to install if/when the current drive fails. I plan to be the last TIVO S1 standing! ;)

7. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    If you want a cheap remote that will give you access to all the Sony SA commands, pick up the radio shack 15-2142, $10. It accepts advanced codes:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/cgi-bin2/ueic.cgi?PVR_0636

You would need to add two zeroes the the front of each advanced code because the 15-2142 remote only takes 5 digit advanced codes.

8. technogal

technogal New Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Thanks Remote Guru. I'll check it out.