Can S3 burn to Humax DRT?

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by calitivo, Nov 13, 2006.

1. calitivo

calitivo Active Member

Dec 5, 2002

Advertisements

Just got a Series 3 for the living room, where I currently have a DRT800. The picture quality difference is ridiculous, even on standard definition channels.

Since I returned the digital cable box I was using (good ridance). Now that it doesn't receive the digital channels, I have less use in using it to record movies, etc.

Am I able to send the S3 signal to the Humax to burn a show to DVD? Doesn't seem like it since the Humax seems focused on burning shows it only recorded from that Tivo. I am thinking about getting a DVD recorder to replace it and then move it to the BR to treat as a second tuner instead of upgrading from that ST to a Dual Tuner. Issue is that I have lifetime on the Humax, so it's not easy to just sell and keep the value. I will likely transfer the lifetime to the S3, but am figuring out the cost/value of the situation, especially with the new pricing schemes.

Is there anything I am missing about using a DVD recorder to burn from a S3? I am not very familiar with their functionality, but see them all the time in electronic stores for relatively cheap prices. My biggest need is to record ~2 hr movies from cable to DVD for future viewings.

Thanks in advance.

2. ashu

ashu User title defunct

Nov 8, 2002
    MD
    You can connect the analog outputs (SVideo or Composite) with the red/white analog output to your Humax and make a Manual (input) recording.

the quality won't be trmendous, and you have to PLAY at nomal speed to achieve this, but you CAN do it in a timed/semi-automated fashion
    a. S3 - record to VCR setting
    b. Humax - timed recording from the front/rear input

Bear in mind, also, that some channels will stop displaying over the HDMI out if you make a simultaneous connection to the analog outlets on the S3, because this is a DRM/HDCP requirement.

3. calitivo

calitivo Active Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Thanks for the input.

Is saving to a non-Tivo DVD recorder the same type of process or is it easier?

4. ashu

ashu User title defunct

Nov 8, 2002
    MD
    The same babysitting would be required. (except for the combo HDD/DVD recorders that are non-TiVo)

5. bearcat2000

bearcat2000 Member

Aug 13, 2005

Advertisements

Hey,
    I did last night exactly what you are asking and it worked just fine. Hooked the S3 up to the DRT800 via S-Video with analog R/L, also bear in mind I transferred an original HD recording over the S-Video and of course it was degraded a bit, but not "oh my gosh" horribly. I would say it retained about or just slightly less than DVD quality when viewing on the Humax or after I made a DVD from it. Not too shabby.