Can remote switch AV input?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by charley.rich, Feb 1, 2018.

1. charley.rich

charley.rich New Member

Sep 16, 2017

Advertisements

I have a Bolt and I would like to switch the AV input using the input button on the Bolt remote. The receiver is a Pioneer vsx-s530; but, unfortunately, all the Tivo supplied codes do not work,

I am able to control volume and power on the receiver using the remote. I did that using the code search. But, that didn't work for the input item.

Pioneer lists remote codes on their website; however, they are in hex. When I convert them to decimal, they are 5 digits long.

Has anyone figured this out?

Thanks,

Charley

2. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    The hex codes you found represent the actual waveform of the IR signal and have no relationship to the device setup codes you enter when programming your remote. Hex codes are useless on the Bolt remote. If the built in codes don't work, there's nothing that can be done.

Your options are to get a universal remote to control both your Bolt and Pio or get a Tivo Slide Pro remote which can learn the command from your Pio remote.

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Does your Pioneer let you use the same button on its remote to "step" through the inputs, or do you have to use a specific button for a specific input?

4. charley.rich

charley.rich New Member

Sep 16, 2017
    It has a specific button for each input.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

5. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006

Advertisements

Onkyo steps so TiVo remote works on AVR, TV and TiVo for me.

6. charley.rich

charley.rich New Member

Sep 16, 2017
    Yes, it works for me on AVR, TV, and Tivo for on/off and volume...but not for input selection. Interestingly, the Tivo doc says you can program the input button for switching the input on your TV. It says TV specifically. Is that because it is somehow limited to TV input switching only?

7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Perhaps it should say "supported". On some televisions it can't even do that. Some require a specific "Select" button. Some, like Sony and LG, just timeout and skip the input selection with each key press. My Samsung didn't work that way, so no input switching was possible. I use an AVR and still need its remote.

Some people find playing with HDMI/CEC can also switch inputs.