Can PyTiVo transcode TiVoHD files to play on a Series2?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Ckought, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Mar 9, 2009 #1 of 24
    Ckought

Ckought Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Kentucky

Advertisements

It seems that if PyTiVo can down-convert other HD content to play on a Series 2, then it should be able to do the same with TiVoHD-recorded files. I think I'd read that PyTiVo now ignors transcoding on any .tivo files -- is there any way to make it transcode the .tivo files that meet the criteria of being from a TiVoHD & being sent to a Series 2?

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Yes. Strip them to plain MPEG files, and they'll work.

3. wtherrell

wtherrell Active Member

Dec 23, 2004
    Huntersville...
    I use PyTivo as program from command line and find it quite handy. However, I would like some instruction on how to "Strip them to plain MPEG files". I feel I should already know this but I'm drawing a blank this morning.

Thanks for all your work.

4. Ckought

Ckought Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Kentucky
    I'm trying to avoid converting them from .tivo files. If I do that, then it complicates using TiVoDesktop to watch them on the TiVoHD (and SD programs on the Series 2). If I convert all my .tivo files to .mpg then it also strips all the program info.

I mostly use TiVoDesktop, but use PyTivo for downloaded videos -- mostly because TiVoDesktop shows the program info for .tivo files and PyTivo doesn't (to me, it's biggest flaw). I wouldn't even dream that TiVo would add code to their program that would convert HD .tivo files to SD .tive files on-the-fly (that'd be too logical and customer-friendly), but I was hoping that PyTivo would have some way of doing it (even if I loose being able to see the program info on the Series 2).

5. dcahoe

dcahoe TiVoPlayList Author

Jan 28, 2006
    Louisville, KY

Advertisements

Tivodecode works very well. DirectShowDump, VideoReDo, etc will also work.

TiVoPlayList can be configured to convert them automatically after transferring, as can kmtgg, etc

6. dcahoe

dcahoe TiVoPlayList Author

Jan 28, 2006
    Louisville, KY

PyTivo will show the program info if you have MetaData files. There is a metadata extractor you can download, or TiVoPlayList will create these files for you automatically when you download a file with it, or you can create these with a simple text editor.

7. Ckought

Ckought Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Kentucky
    Not directly related to the original post, but I figured I'd throw it out there:

I've tried using a metadata creator program, but it's cumbersom because it doesn't create the metadata automatically as .tivo files are placed in the PyTivo folers (and having all the seperate metadata files in the folders with the .tivo files isn't a very elegant approach). PyTivo needs to incorporate the metadata extraction code so it can show the program info directly from the .tivo file on-the-fly when you're browsing a PyTivo folder from the TiVo. And, I don't know if it does it, but if it doesn't it should -- for non-.tivo files read the metadata from the file's property details (like Title, Catagory, Keywords, and Comments). That way when I download a video I can put the info in the file's properties (if it's not already there) and have PyTivo show that on the TiVo screen while browsing.

8. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    It makes more sense to also record the SD version of a show you plan to transfer. You may need to manually record the SD version, the 28 day rule generally stops tivo from recording both the HD and SD version of the same episode, unless you select record duplicates.

SD shows transfer from tivo to PC much quicker then a HD show. Transcoding HD to SD also takes time. Record the SD version and you can probably MRV, even quicker.

9. Ckought

Ckought Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Kentucky
    I need to transfer the HD version to the PC if I want to watch it in the future on the TiVoHD (at least if I want to watch it in HD, which is why I have a TiVoHD :) ). I guess I could also record the same show in SD, but that's wasteful because it'd tie up another tuner and take up an extra 1.6GB per hour to save it on my server. I currently have over 2TB of shows on my server (and growing daily). Also, when there are HD and SD versions of the same show on the server, it lists them twice when browsing from the TiVo and there's not a quick and easy way to differentiate between which one is which.

If PyTivo can't transcode HD .tivo files to SD on-the-fly, then I'm fine with that -- it was merely a query about the possibility. I plan on upgrading my remaining Series 2s to TiVoHDs within the next month or so -- at that point the trascoding issue becomes a moot point for me, but it seems like something other users that are in my current circumstances (having both Series 2s and TiVoHDs / Series 3s) would appreciate the ability to do.

10. dsloth

dsloth New Member

Nov 23, 2006
    I use Galleon to automatically transfer the HD program to my PC in a folder monitored by
    TVAP. TVAP automatically removes the commercials and strips it to a mpeg file with a metadata txt file. The mpeg and txt files are placed in a file monitored by PyTivo. Then I use PyTivo to transfer to my series 2. All but the last step is automatic.

11. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    I used videoredo to transcode from HD to SD, I suspect PyTivo can do the same.

It takes a significant amount of time to D/L then transcode a HD show. JMO but recording the same show in SD makes a lot of sense if it's a show you know you're going to be transferrring to a S2 or archiving to DVD. The quality may be better with a SD show vs a trancoded HD show.

12. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    If it helps, you can store the metadata files in a subfolder called ".meta", instead of mixed-in with the videos. You still need one .meta folder per video folder, though.

Unlikely. The SD sources tend to be crummy. And the HD -> SD transcoding by pyTivo is quite good... easily the best-looking material I've seen on my S2, I think.

13. wtherrell

wtherrell Active Member

Dec 23, 2004
    Huntersville...
    is 2008.08.20-RC1 the latest update? If not how do I update? What other programs or plug-ins do I need?
    I put an HD (.tivo) file in the file where Pytivo looks and changed the suffix to .mpg
    Transfer started then crapped out. History shows "File was larger than expected or was corrupted" Let me say it Once again: I apparently need some detailed instructions on how to get the HD into SD from my TivoHD to my Series 2. What I have tried so far hasn't worked.

14. dsloth

dsloth New Member

Nov 23, 2006
    You need to decode the tivo file. Just changing the the suffix doesn't work. I use VideoReDo TvSuite, but tivodecode works too.

15. txporter

txporter One sec, almost done

Sep 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    If you are talking about the windows installer for wmcbrine's pytivo branch in this thread, then yes...it is the latest. However, you can install that and then go to wmcbrine's git repository and pull the latest zip of his build. Download the zip and extract all of the files into your pytivo directory (let it overwrite anything it wants to). You will need to restart pytivo at that point. You will then be as up-to-date as anyone besides the author.

Also, dsloth is correct. You cannot simply change the extension from .tivo to .mpg. You need to decrypt it.

Jason

16. wtherrell

wtherrell Active Member

Dec 23, 2004
    Huntersville...
    Thanks, guys. Looks good. I think that is what I needed. I'll give your instructions a try.

17. wtherrell

wtherrell Active Member

Dec 23, 2004
    Huntersville...
    No wonder you use VideoReDo. You apparently value your sanity. I finally figured out how to download and extract the Tivodecode files. Went to C prompt and cd to the directory where Tivodecode is. I can't figure out how to install it. No .bat file or .exe or anything. I thought I followed the directions in the Readme and Install files but I realize the commands are not valid DOS commands. How do I get to the right place to type the commands?
    Do I need to be in Visual Basic C++ editor or something? They seem to have left out the key ingredient instructions. A copy of a compiler m4 was included with the package but how to get into it I have no idea.
    Tivodecode a bummer so far.

18. dsloth

dsloth New Member

Nov 23, 2006
    do a search for Tivo Decoder GUI in the home media features forum for a connecting link to an easy to use version of tivo decoder

19. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    The kmttg project has a compiled version of the latest tivodecode source in the tools package:
    http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/downloads/detail?name=kmttg_win32_tools_v0p5.zip&can=3&q=

tivodecode.exe and tdcat.exe will be in the tivodecode folder in that zip. tdcat is just for metadata and both programs will give you help if you run them with no arguments from the commandline.

20. wtherrell

wtherrell Active Member

Dec 23, 2004
    Huntersville...
    OK, found the gmon GUI and got it to work. I ran the Tivodecoder and then used pytivo. It looked like it worked but there was no audio and the video stuttered and jerked. Unwatchable. Having trouble using the record SD workaround because the TWC Tuning Adapter is interfering with my S2 seeing the THD playing list. Shows "DVR has no recordings"
    TivoDesktop sees the NPL ok so I uploaded the SD versions to the PC and will try to get them from the S2. Looks like I better get the latest McBrine updates. Once again thanks, everyone, for your help and patience.