Can power for antenna preamp be in unheated attic?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by newsposter, Oct 23, 2005.

1. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA

Advertisements

I 'may' need a preamp because of the cable run being long on my DB8 antenna. I haven't found a permanent place for a good signal but am still toying with it.

I see for preamps there's a box you hook on to the antenna itself then you need to power it further down the line. Thing is, I may need to hook up the antenna through my grounding block outside the house (diplexor). Can the powerpack for the preamp sit in my unheated attic?

the set up would be antenna----preamp----power inserter (sitting right inside an attic window but obviously getting very cold in PA winters)----then to a diplexor...then to my grounding block....then of course a diplexor in back of the HD tivo.

I'd really like if the entire pre amp setup could be outside as I have an outlet there, but are they made for that?

2. Mark Lopez

Mark Lopez Just click ignore

Jan 1, 2000
    Hondo TX
    I don't see the unheated attic as being a problem. Outside would be fine too as long as the power inserter was in some sort of weatherproof box.

3. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    The box is a great idea. I can definitely water proof it, but obviously can't proof it from 0 degrees :) I figured it would generate it's own heat actually.

4. thumperxr69

thumperxr69 New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Central IL
    My CM 7777 has been in my unheated attic for over a year. The WAF is cool here.

T

5. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA

Advertisements

guess i can't get the rat shack one...it says for in the house only...not attic

6. bdlucas

bdlucas Right side up again.

Feb 15, 2004
    Exurbia
    I might be more concerned about the summer - attics can get very hot in the summer. Typically these things will be spec'ed for an operating temperature range, if you can find that info - maybe on the manufacturer's website.

7. Lee L

Lee L Got Basenji?

Oct 1, 2003
    Morrisville, NC
    I have an antenna with preamp in my attic. It gets pretty darn hot here in the summer and it has been working for about 5 years now.

8. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    being that it's April 11, i feel that winter is likely over at least. Just wanted to report that the leviton amp from home depot is working perfectly in the unheated attic.

Now for summer (and fixing that attic fan)