Can my computer be monitored using Tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by temp_user, May 11, 2011.

1. temp_user

temp_user New Member

May 11, 2011
    Recently I have discovered that my roommate bought a Tivo Series2 DT component which he had connected to his tv and had a wireless network adapter hooked up to my computer. I know a feauture of the component is to be able to record movies from the internet. Seeing as how this is possible, could it also be configured to view my computer activity? If I'm using the internet or working on my computer in any way, can that be seen? whether it's recorded or real-time? :confused:
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Please don't double-post (or triple-post in this case). You may think it helps you get an answer quickly but it can be so confusing to those trying to help you that you are likely to get poor answers.

3. temp_user

temp_user New Member

May 11, 2011
    I'm sorry. I didn't realize that one post could be seen in every forum. This is my first time ever using this type of site.
    I now know for future posts.

Thanks

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    It's not that one post can be seen in every forum, it's that there are different forums to separate subject matter, and most things fit better in one than any of the others.

Most of us will start off looking at this page

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/index.php?

and/or this one

http://www.tivocommunity.com/?

specifically to see where the new posts are so putting it in the proper forum will still get it noticed, and even if you aren't sure which is the right one for your particlular question, say so when you post it to your best guess as to which is the right one and we'll probably help you out without jumping on you.:)

5. wkearney99

wkearney99 Bill Kearney

Dec 5, 2003
    Bethesda,...
    Take off the tinfoil hat. No, the Tivo doesn't record network traffic.

And, for the sake of clarity, the Tivo doesn't 'record' from the internet. It has the ability to stream movies from services like netflix and youtube and download whole ones from services like amazon (among others).

If you want to keep your network traffic private there are other ways to separate your computer from others on the network. But this is not the forum to ask those questions.