Can MOCA interfere with OTA signal

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by David B Gregory, Nov 16, 2020.

1. David B Gregory

David B Gregory Member

Feb 25, 2018

Advertisements

I have been pulling my hair out I have NBC that does not get OTA signal. All others are fine. Pointed antenna using signal meter (Bolt doesn't work). I have a MOCA 2.5 network bridge as Bolt OTA has none. Tried 3 different antennas with without amplifier. All stations within 2 degree

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    See if combining 2 antennas through a splitter doesn't help with possible multi-path issues.

-KP

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Can you provide more detail on your coax plant and MoCA network setup?

4. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Have you verified that all channels are in the correct band for your antenna? Maybe NBC is on VHF, and you only have a UHF antenna? Although most channels are in the UHF band these days, there are still a few hanging out in the lower frequencies.

krkaufman likes this.
  5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

You could also rule out the MoCA theory by shutting down MoCA, temporarily, for all devices.

6. genebopp

genebopp Member

Dec 11, 2008
  7. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Unfortunately, that article spreads FUD and offers a "solution" that is technically flawed. It isn't terribly difficult to have MoCA and OTA on the same coax, as long as no actual cable signals are in play. I get the impression that the OP is only mixing MoCA and OTA, which is perfectly acceptable assuming the default MoCA bands are used.

krkaufman and fcfc2 like this.
  8. LarryAtHome

LarryAtHome Active Member

Feb 18, 2008
    If the antenna cable is removed from the Bolt and plugged directly into the TV, does the TV receive NBC? This would verify that the signal is there.
    LTE signals from cell providers can interfere with OTA reception, have you tried a LTE filter? Some places will allow you to return an item if not needed.

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    That article's suggestion is a disaster ... and seems entirely pointless given the 7 followup bullets explaining all the ways in which it can't work.

fcfc2 likes this.
  10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Might be worthwhile providing your zip code or a report from TVFool.com (or nearby) to allow others to assist in reviewing what you *should* be seeing.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    fcfc2 likes this.