Can MFST be used to copy and expand Edge drive?

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by tommage1, Feb 23, 2021 at 8:37 AM.

1. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008

Advertisements

Has anyone done it yet? If wanting to use a really large drive (8TB and up), need an intermediary drive (starting with a 500GB)? Want to make sure it works as once swap in a new drive pretty much everything on old drive will be lost whether upgrade works or not.

2. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    I do not know. I have just fixed MFSTools to be able to make a direct copy to drives over 4 TB. No intermediary drive needed. I have not tested it except in a virtual setting and so have not published it yet. My understanding is that the Edges can now self format drives correctly that are larger than 3 TB. If that is the case, then TiVo fixed the 2 TB partition bug. I do not know if that fix will transcend to the Bolt and Roamios. If it does, it is likely only in TE4 as he Edges are on TE4. I will be testing it out on my Bolt on TE4 with a 10 TB drive in the near future. If it works on my Bolt, then it will likely work on the Edge. If it does not work on my Bolt, then I need to find an Edge for testing.

3. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    How about a copy and expand to a smaller drive (like 3TB or under). From the 500GB drive. I've seen a good number of upgrades on the Edge but all starting fresh I believe, no copy/expands yet. If someone has done an Edge copy and expand to any size drive I would be interested, could not find in search.