can kmttg "trim" that is start and stop transfer as MP4

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by BigOldArt, Dec 25, 2020.

Tags:
  1. BigOldArt

BigOldArt New Member

Jun 12, 2014

Advertisements

It appears that kmttg will download the "tail" of a show if I pause viewing on the Tivo Roamio.

Is there a way in kmttg to just download from minute 12:20 to minute 17:10?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    No. It does not know that. You can trim it yourself if you are a Windows user with VideoReDo. You can do stuff like remove commercials.

3. MHunter1

MHunter1 TiVo Bug Hunter

Oct 11, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    It sounds like you're trying to save time by not waiting for the entire program to finish downloading. You can monitor the progress bar and manually stop the download when you estimate it has reached the desired end point without deleting the file. But it's still best to use VideoReDo to clean up the start and end.

4. BigOldArt

BigOldArt New Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Thank you.
    I was wrong about the start time being set. If the goal is to have an MP4, TS must be checked, and that disallows setting a start.

Once I have the whole show in mp4, it is trivial to use windows Photo to trim it and put in title cards naming the source, adding notes, etc.

I was hoping to download and encode only part of a show. Yesterday I recorded news on my Tivo. Today near the end of the hour there was a brief piece on a friend's father who had died. She had not seen it so I wanted to send a video clip.

It would be a nice feature if it were not necessary to do all the download and encoding processing when 90%+ of the MP4 would be trimmed off.

5. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID

Advertisements

Just download and decrypt the whole thing, that's relatively fast. Trim the mpg. Then convert the small mpg to mp4. mpg->mp4 is the slow part of the process. It would be simpler if you could just mark a small portion for download, but definitely do the trimming before the mpg->mp4 transcoding.

6. BigOldArt

BigOldArt New Member

Jun 12, 2014
    thank you.
    So your suggestion is to use kmttg to get the MPG file.
    Would I need special software to trim the mpg? I routinely trim mp4s with Windows Photos so I can mix videos, title cards, and stills in a new video. This afternoon, I'll try trimming the mpg with Photos to see if it does it.
    Would I then use kmttg to encode the trimmed mpg to mp4?

7. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Yes, kmttg to get the mpg (download and decrypt). I don't think Photos works with mpg. You need to download a free mpg editor for Win10, like Kdenlive | Libre Video Editor or OpenShot Video Editor | Free, Open, and Award-Winning Video Editor for Linux, Mac, and Windows!, both are open source and free for Win, Linux, Mac, etc. You can then use kmttg to transcode the mpg to mp4. Technically, you don't need kmttg itself, just ffmpeg (which is in the kmttg directory, and installed with and used by kmttg).

Admittedly, I've never done what I've described. ;) It is the approach I would take. However, if you're just talking about a 30-35 minute local news show, maybe just transcode the whole thing to mp4 and use Photos, if the more comfortable and familiar work flow is worth the longer time and extra cpu cycles.

8. BigOldArt

BigOldArt New Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Thank you
    The mp4 has finished encoding so I'll use that.
    But, I'll keep a note about your suggestions if a similar situation arises.

9. BigOldArt

BigOldArt New Member

Jun 12, 2014
    I tried out a couple of short shows and they took a long time but ended up with MP4s.
    I then downloaded New Day for practice. It ended up with no audio, but I did not change the settings. Screenshot of kmttg.jpg

10. BigOldArt

BigOldArt New Member

Jun 12, 2014
    A surprise. A TS file was left. Opening it with Movie Maker and clicking <save movie> resulted in an MP4 that I could work with.

I leave all this detail because in another context I find it useful to search a forum archive that goes back to 1996. Perhaps other forum members will benefit from this conversation.

justen_m likes this.
  11. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    This not a goal,but rather IF the show was recorded in MPEG4, then it MUST be downloaded by TS. After KMTTG decrypted, it becomes a .TS file. It can be played similar to a MP4.