Can I Watch Windows Media Center Recordings on my Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by orourkj, Jan 15, 2006.

1. orourkj

orourkj New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    I have a Windows Media Center PC that records some shows while Tivo is recording something else. Can I move these shows from my PC onto my Tivo so I can watch them on my TV (without burning them to a DVD first?). Looks like I'd need to convert them to .tivo or something first? Any help?

Thanks

Jesse in NH

2. wgary

wgary New Member

Nov 22, 2003
  3. orourkj

orourkj New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Thanks for the responses. I know it has to be MPEG2 but I don't know how to get it in that format. I tried Videora which works for the video, but no audio gets to the converted file. I also tried DVRMSToolbox but I'm not sure how to use it - I'm technically inclined, but WTF?

Videora seems simple to use, but the audio is a problem - any advice or other suggestions?

4. cpucrash0

cpucrash0 Premium Member

Sep 14, 2002
    McAllen, TX
    What about winavi

5. wgary

wgary New Member

Nov 22, 2003
    Seriously, DVRMSFileWatcher is the way to go. It's not as bad as it may seem!
    1. Download http://www.download.com/DVRMSToolbox/3000-11444_4-10444368.html
    2. Install.
    3. Go to Start Menu > DVRMSToolbox > ProcessConditionEditor
    4. Double-click Every File, and select Convert DVR-MS to MPEG from the pull-down. Click Save.
    5. Start Menu > DVRMSToolbox > FileWatcher. Set the the directory to your Tivo Recordings folder.
    6. Done! A DFW icon appears in your taskbar.

This is working well for me! All future recordings will automatically show up in your Tivo Now Playing list.

Note that is you already have recordings you want to transfer, use the "DVRtoMPEGGUI" app.

6. dirtypacman

dirtypacman Coming and going

Feb 3, 2004
    MA
    Great thread thanks!!!

7. wgary

wgary New Member

Nov 22, 2003
    Important note about FileWatcher :
    Note that this is creating a duplicate of the file in MPEG format, meaning you are eating up twice the storage space. I wish there were a way to automatically delete the file from MCE after processing. Haven't figured that out. (ANY HELP?)

But I just clean out my MCE recordings periodically since I primarily use Tivo. Recording on MCE is mainly for times when I want to catch something and my other Tivos are already busy. This is especially nice for long programs like sporting events that cut across multiple time slots.

Also note: There is a "ad remover" utility that you can run after the transcoding step, but I have not had success with that.

8. orourkj

orourkj New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Thanks WGARY - your post helped and things are working.

Videora looks nicer and is easier to "use" but since it didn't work I chucked it. The Filewatcher transferred file did have occasional half second sound holes - is there anything I can tweak to prevent that?

9. wgary

wgary New Member

Nov 22, 2003
    I haven't noticed that...

Thoughts:
    1. You might go back and check the file in MCE to be sure it's working well...
    2. Are you watching while you're transferring? Could be that Tivo can't keep up. MCE files seem larger... Maybe transfer the whole file first, then check it out.

10. orourkj

orourkj New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Just watched the second show converted this way and it too had the gaps in sound. The only thing I can think of is I have the MCE recordings converted to a MPEG2 file on a different PC on my home network. Perhaps the network connection may interfere with the quality of the MPEG2?

11. wgary

wgary New Member

Nov 22, 2003
    That seems like a feasible explanation. What you might consider doing is to convert the files to a folder on your HME computer. Then use Galleon (http://galleon.tv) GoBack service to have your Tivo include that folder in your Now Playing folder.