Can I view a DVD on my Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ba2991, Oct 27, 2011.

1. ba2991

ba2991 New Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Hi all
    I don't have a DVD player and was wondering if it was possible to view a DVD burn from my mac. I have toast titanium installed. If it's possible can someone tell me the best and quickest was to watch a DVD.
    I know I can rip and burn a DVD and save as a .avi and then copy it to my Tivo folder and view it but that takes a while to do and the quality isn't the best.

Cheers.

2. takeshi

takeshi Member

Jul 22, 2010
    That is the way to do it. Quality if affected by encoding. Check your settings.

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    For most Series 2/3/4 models, only by TTCB type methods (stream or copy over networy, Series 2 copy only, after conversion to MPEG2).

Directly, only on DVD combo models. Otherwise, you will need a DVD player.

4. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Use a quality DVD ripping program like Magic DVD Ripper and rip to an MPEG2 format. This is the native TiVo format and your quality should be lossless.

A rip should take approximately 15 - 20 minutes and you are ready to watch your legally purchased movie.

You can also purchase and/or rent movies from Amazon, blockbuster and Netflix if that makes it easier for you.

5. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Spend $30 for a DVD player..Problem solved.

6. Iluvatar

Iluvatar New Member

Jul 22, 2006
    If you are looking for quick and relatively easy then rip the DVD to a folder using whatever method you wish and then look at using pyTivo with the lucasnz fork to bring over your DVD. The lucasnz version of pyTivo has a dvdvideo plugin that can read native DVD structures without having to reencode the video into a single file.

7. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Sounds like a lot of work to avoid buying a DVD player. Plus the DVD player will give a better playback image

8. Iluvatar

Iluvatar New Member

Jul 22, 2006
    It is more work I suppose but once setup you never have to think about it. Just rip the DVD's.

Since the DVD's are in MPEG2 format, which TiVo can read natively, there is no transcoding and no loss in original quality.

9. ba2991

ba2991 New Member

Feb 28, 2011
    OK I will try and converting to a Mpeg can some tell me how to do it with Toast.
    Cheers

10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Beware of subtitles. A LOT of movies use a subtitle track to display dialog when someone is speaking in a foreign language. Subtitle tracks are separate and can not be stored in a standard .mpg file. So if you simply copy a movie that has subtitles you may be missing crucial dialog when you go to watch it on the TiVo. The only way to make this work would be to recode the whole movie using something that can decode the subtitles and burn them right into the video.

Dan

11. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    It's not about avoiding buying a DVD player. It's about the inconvenience of a DVD player - especially in multiple rooms, and it's about having to switch back and forth between the DVD player and the TiVo. I have a Sony 400 disk DVD player, and it sits unused, and has for years. I essentially stopped watching my DVDs altogether until the pyTivo DVD plug-in came along. Since then I now once again occasionally watch my DVDs.

It's also not a lot of work, by a long shot. Insert DVD, fire up DVD Decrypptor. and click on <Decrypt>. Rename the directory, if you like. That's it.

This is completely false.

12. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Hardly.

Not when transcoded properly.

13. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I recommend not.