Can I use withOUT cable, just internet for NETFLIX?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Butterflyjkg, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Butterflyjkg

Butterflyjkg New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Can I use this thing like an Xbox for just Netflix with a broadband hookup or do I need to actually have cable too?

That may sound stupid but this is my reasoning. I am thinking of moving out of here and if I do, I'm going to be broke. I don't know if cable will be on my list of things for a while. Can I use this with a broadband hookup and just use Netflix for a while or HuluPlus... or is that not possible? Sorry if that sounds ridiculous. I honestly don't know. :confused:

2. rdodolak

rdodolak Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Yes, you can use it for broadband services (Netflix, HuluPlus, Pandora, Amazon Instant Video, etc) w/o having cable.

3. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    You can, but you will still need to have the Tivo subscription($20 per month or $500 liftime).

ps; There is a new promotional email offer from solidsignal.com for a $10/mo subscription for ota service only, but includes all internet and networking features.

4. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    You are better of selling the TiVo and buying a Roku.

5. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    As already stated, yes, but you will need a not inexpensive subscription. Not only can you use it for Netflix and Hulu plus w/o cable, you can also use it for free OTA TV provided you live in an area where you can receive TV signals.

6. 59er

59er TiVotee

Mar 27, 2008
    New York, NY
    The Apple TV has a fabulous Netflix interface, and gives much better picture quality for Netflix than my otherwise-beloved TiVo.

7. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    As others have stated, if you're going to use it PURELY as a streaming device, go with a Roku or Apple Tv. Once you pay the initial cost, they're free to run. They are also MUCH smaller, and use less electricity. If you like the idea of being able to record OTA though, the Premiere IS a better choice.

8. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    The Roku 2 even supports 1080P and 5.1 sound, you need to get either of the higher end ones. The XD ($79.99) or the XS ($99.99) will work, the HD only does 720p.

9. Balzer

Balzer Active Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    If you happen to have a Blu-ray player, most of those support Netflix, Hulu and other online goodies. Although an additional network adapter is sometimes required depending on the player.