Can I use TIVO with Satellite?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by minkeygirl, Sep 30, 2011.

1. minkeygirl

minkeygirl New Member

Nov 13, 2010
    I have an original Series 2 Tivo that I use with my Time Warner converter box. I may be moving to a place where I can get satellite (I don't know what kind).

Can I use my Tivo with a satellite? And is it a huge production? I thought there were satellite specific Tivo's.

2. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    Sure, it will exactly the way it does now but instead of controlling a cable box it will control a satellite box.

There will be a new TiVo DVR for DirecTV coming out in a few weeks (we hope). It will do high definition and give you access to the DirecTV Cinema movie download service. In addition to those features it will have two tuners so you can record two shows at the same time. It will be missing some of the networking features your Series 2 has now. You won't be able to save shows to a PC using TiVo Desktop for example.

If you don't plan on going HD any time soon, then it is easy, just put your existing S2 on the sat box they set up for you.

3. minkeygirl

minkeygirl New Member

Nov 13, 2010
    @CuriousMark..I am extremely low tech and am only interested in recording 2 channels like I can now (can I do that with a satellite?) and watching Tv. Don't care about HD or downloads. Just simple Tivo. But you mentioned DirectTV so does that require a special box or could I use the one I already have?

4. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Sounds like you have a Series 2 dual tuner (model # starting with 649).
    If that is the case, you will lose the recording capability of one tuner, as the Tivo can't decode the satellite signal directly.
    You will have to connect the Tivo to the satellite box like this:
    http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/97

If the satellite box doesn't have a serial port you will have to use IR blasters to control the satellite box.
    http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/116/kw/ir blasters

Using this method, the dual tuner can only control one satellite box, so that is why you will lose dual tuner functionality.

5. minkeygirl

minkeygirl New Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Being low tech I don't understand this at all. I am using an IR blaster now with my Digital box and I am able to use both tuners. If I cannot record 2 shows at a time then I won't get satellite. Defeats the purpose IMO.

6. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    The difference is, the Tivo can decode analog cable. That is why you still have dual tuner capability.
    If your cable carrier were to go only digital, you would lose dual tuner functionality in that case as well.
    This is because the Tivo can only control one cable (satellite) box.

7. minkeygirl

minkeygirl New Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Oh I see. I thought everyone went digital. So no matter what I do, if it doesn't have an analog signal with a digital I will lose a tuner? Well that sucks! So do I then have to get another DVR?

8. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, it's getting down to crunch time. A lot of cable systems still have analog channels, but they could go only digital at any time.
    If you must have Satellite, the options will be the new DirecTivo as mentioned above, or you will have to settle with a non Tivo DVR (I hear Dish Network DVRs aren't that bad).
    The current Tivos support digital cable, but not satellite.