Can I use Tivo with DirectTV on a hotel account?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Sactowriter, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Sactowriter

Sactowriter New Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am a resident manager in a luxury inn and the Direct TV account we have services all the rooms including my living quarters. Hotel accounts are not eligible for DVR services with Direct TV. If I buy a Tivo just for my room and connect it to the Direct TV box, will I be able to record my shows? Thank you! I have never had a Tivo. I had Direct TV and U-Verse before and always used their DVRs, but that's not possible with this setup.

Thanks! (I'm new here and not sure this is the correct thread.)

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Well, it's not the correct forum section, but we can help anyway. If you are simply distributing the DirecTV satellite signal and are using a standard DirecTV receiver to tune in the channels, then yes, a Series 2 standalone TiVo can be used with the standard-def DirecTV receiver to record. However, if you are converting the DirecTV channels to standard "cable" TV channels for tuning with a TV's built-in tuner, then that probably won't work unless you can get TiVo to create a custom lineup for you.

Too bad that DirecTV won't let you activate DVR service - as that would greatly simplify things as well as reduce costs for you.

3. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I doubt that Tivo will give you a custom line up. However, I dont see any reason why you cant buy a regular TV guide book or the guide in most news papers and great your own guide. The problem I see is trying to get the Tivo to change the channels on the Direct TV box.

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The TiVo will change the channels on the DirecTV box just fine. You can use the included IR emitter or buy an adapter that will let the TiVo use serial control. The real disadvantage is that you're limited to the standard-def composite video output.

5. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Ok so it works the same way my old ser 2 changed the channels on my comcast box.