Can I use the mini vox as Moca bridge? If not, what about an external bridge plus?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Omar Awan, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Sep 6, 2020 #1 of 10
    Omar Awan

Omar Awan New Member

Mar 15, 2018

Advertisements

I set my Bolt up as a Moca bridge (and ethernet) and one of my mini vox's as a Moca client. Works fine. Can I use the ethernet port on the mini vox to connect a wired TV? I tried, and it doesn't seem to get a IP address. I don't think the mini vox works that way, but wanted to make sure.

What about a tivo bridge plus upstream of the mini? Coax in from wall (from bolt Moca network), coax out to mini vox still using Moca on the mjni. Ethernet on bridge plus to TV wired connection?

2. Sep 6, 2020 #2 of 10
    jaredmwright

jaredmwright Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Bay Area
    unfortunately no, the Mini does not support bridging ethernet and moca, only the host TiVos support bridging.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

3. Sep 6, 2020 #3 of 10
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    No, the Mini boxes don't have the bridging functionality found in the MoCA-capable TiVo DVRs, so wired networking can't be extended the same way when they're configured as MoCA clients. (The Ethernet port isn't usable when configured as a MoCA client.)

This wouldn't work due to the TiVo Bridge Plus coax pass-through port not passing MoCA signals. You'd want to either connect the Mini via Ethernet or use a MoCA-compatible splitter to connect both the Mini and MoCA adapter to your coax.

p.s. The TiVo Bridge Plus isn't the best value for your MoCA adapter $$$s. >See here< for some alternatives.

4. Sep 6, 2020 #4 of 10
    Omar Awan

Omar Awan New Member

Mar 15, 2018
    I saw all those recommendations, thanks.

So from wall to Moca compatible splitter. From splitter, one to mini and one to a Moca bridge (what amazon recommendations if the source Moca is a bolt) to TV ethernet. I don't want to over do it if the source Moca is a bolt. Gocoax for 59 seems good. I guess it will be backwards compatible with Moca 2.0.

Any bridges support Moca passthru? I can deal with a splitter and extra cable, just wondering.

Kinda unrelated. I don't use encryption on moca, assume external bridges don't support it. It's a installer thing.

5. Sep 6, 2020 #5 of 10
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

No.

Yes.

Alternatively, just connect the wall coax to the MoCA adapter (no splitter), then connect the MoCA adapter to an Ethernet switch ... and connect both the Mini and TV to the Ethernet switch.

BOLTs and EDGEs with MoCA, and Mini VOX/LUX units, all have standard MoCA 2.0; so you'd want a standard MoCA 2.0 adapter or better (yes, they're backward compatible), but, yes, the goCoax MoCA 2.5 adapter is the best value.

Encryption isn't needed if you can reliably secure your MoCA network using a "PoE" MoCA filter. That said, most all MoCA adapters support MoCA encryption/privacy.

6. Sep 6, 2020 #6 of 10
    Omar Awan

Omar Awan New Member

Mar 15, 2018
    Indeed, switch option is another method. Moca bridges with more than one port are few and far between. Actiontec has one with 4 ports (installer only), and translite has one with two, but only sold in pairs. Trying to remove any points of failure as this is an outside install which is hard to reach with limited power. Splitter seems like the way, unless you have other options

How can adapters support encryption if you can't input a key anywhere?

7. Sep 6, 2020 #7 of 10
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yep:
    You could see if someone would make a proxy purchase from FiOS.

Or accept a wireless connection for the TV, itself.

Most third-party adapters offer a web configuration UI.

8. Sep 6, 2020 #8 of 10
    Omar Awan

Omar Awan New Member

Mar 15, 2018
    Thank you for all the Moca advise. It confirmed somethings, prevented me from making a bad decision, and I learnt a few new things.

Have a non Tivo question...
    While the TV has speakers, I have nice outdoor JBLs connected a to an onxyon receiver inside about 20 feet away (through a sliding glass door). The speakers are connected to Zone 2. I need to get the audio from the mini to the receiver connected to Zone 2. While the receiver supports bluetooth it's not low latency so the picture/ audio maybe out of sink. Trying to find a low latency audio optical (or analog if I split the hdmi) transmitter. Most low latency bluetooth transmitters won't pair to low latency Bluetooth receivers.

krkaufman likes this.
  9. Sep 6, 2020 #9 of 10
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Probably want a separate thread for your speaker issue, to attract knowledgeable souls.

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Connect the Mini to the receiver directly? And then solve how to get the Mini video out to the TV? (RF remote control should allow for controlling the Mini.)