Can I use TE4 Bolt to watch shows stored on TE3 Bolt?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by SamD, May 15, 2019 at 5:35 PM.

1. SamD

SamD Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Redondo...
    Have two TE4 Bolts (Bolt+ and Bolt). My intention is to use Bolt as a backup storage for Bolt+.

Cannot use TiVo Online transfer between two TE4 Bolts due to freezing issue. I was advised that pyTivo (via pyDesktop) will allow me two-step transfer: download from TE4 Bolt+ to PC and then upload from PC to TE3 Bolt (but not to TE4 Bolt).

So, I decided to downgrade TE4 Bolt to TE3.
    One thought bugs me: Will I be able to watch recordings stored on TE3 Bolt remotely using TE4 Bolt+?
    -----
    Afterthought:
    Seems to me the only viable solution is to have TE3 Mini connected to TE3 Bolt and attached to the same TV as TE4 Bolt+...

Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 5:44 PM
  2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You'll be able to stream in both directions. You'll also be able to transfer shows directly from the TE4 Bolt+ to the TE3 Bolt without using pyTivo. (there is a menu item on the TE3 UI that says transfer to this TiVo)

Mikeguy likes this.
  3. SamD

SamD Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Redondo...
    Great!
    Does "stream in both directions" means that sitting in TE4 interface of Bolt+ I'll be able to select TE3 Bolt as Device? And this selection will allow to view TE3 interface of Bolt?
    Or it will be a scrollable windows with the list of recordings?

Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 6:15 PM
  4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yeah you'll be able to see the other device in the list, just like you can now, then pick a recording and press Play. There is some minor weirdness with the categories because there are some that don't match between the two UIs but it's nothing big. I have a TE4 Bolt and a TE3 Bolt+ and I stream from the TE4 Bolt to the TE3 Bolt+ all the time. Also works with a TE3 Mini. I don't regularly go the other way, but I've tried it and it does work.

5. SamD

SamD Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Redondo...
    Thanks a lot Dan. Will try to downgrade TE4 Bolt to TE3 immediately (that Bolt is almost empty).

6. SamD

SamD Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Redondo...
    Yes, everything you suggested works. Transfer is relatively fast, 17 GB of Game of Thrones (season 8, 5 episodes) transferred for 20-30 minutes. No playback freezing. Streaming works both ways. Thanks again.

7. bellbm

bellbm Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Chicago
    I was thinking of upgrading to TE4, the main thing holding me back is the inability to transfer shows from my PC. Sounds like I could pick up an old Premiere to use only for transferring from my PC and watch in my TE4 Roamio?

8. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    As long as pc transfers have enough good metadata associated with it (TE4 needs to think it's a normal show) then streaming transfers from a TE3 box to a TE4 box will work without much of a hitch.

If a file doesn't have enough good data, TE4 often times won't open it.

Mikeguy likes this.
  9. bellbm

bellbm Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Chicago
    That probably explains why on the iPhone ap I can’t stream shows I downloaded to my TiVo. Most of these are not shows that I downloaded from a TiVo, so they don’t have metadata.