Can i use my Tivo with only the Dig Antena?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by occraig, May 23, 2011.

1. occraig

occraig New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    I am selling my other tivo and a person asked me on ebay if you can use a Tivo HD with only a Digital Antena?

they would have to have at least basic cable right?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes, you can use any antenna with a Tivo HD. Tivo Series 3/HD/XL and the Premiere/XL has separate coax input for cable and antenna and they can both be connected at the same time or either at any time.

I use mine with a rooftop antenna.

3. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Yes, absolutely you can.*

No, not right at all.

* Note: There is no such thing as a "digital antenna", except perhaps for marketing purposes. A TV antenna is a TV antenna. The TiVo HD will work with rabbit ears, your ancient rooftop antenna, etc.

4. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    (....continuing) True but there is a difference between UHF and VHF antenna elements -- VHF elements are larger, frequently very similar to the old rabbit ears while UHF elements are compact. Here is an excerpt from the FAQ at AntennaWeb.org:
    Thus in most cases you can use the cheaper and more compact UHF-only antennas.
    To explore antenna requirements for your location go to antennaweb.org or tvFool.com . This will tell you whether any stations you care about are VHF.

5. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Well, almost. There is no such thing as a "digital antenna". There is, however, a difference between an antenna designed for use in the VHF band vs. one designed for the UHF band. There are also wide defferences between low gain and high gain antennas.

6. kathpdx

kathpdx New Member

May 27, 2006

This GREAT to read!! I have been on the fence about getting rid of cable completely... Good to know!

7. kathpdx

kathpdx New Member

May 27, 2006
    What is "pyTivo"?

8. lastdeadcat

lastdeadcat 22 years in Alaska

Mar 14, 2005
    Duvall, WA
    kathpdx--
    You might even be able to use the "fence." In Viet Nam we used a refrigerator shelf on a pole to ge VHF B&W TV.

9. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
  10. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You could have used the 'fridge shelf as a reflector for UHF elements as well.:)

11. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Just go to antennaweb and make certain if any of your locals still use the VHF high-band. If so, you will need an antenna that can receive UHF and VHF high band. If not, then a UHF antenna will do.

12. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I have been wanting to do this for years but unfortunately my area doesn't get many OTA channels. The mountains get in the way.