Can I use my Premiere without the cablecard?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by atomarchio, Nov 2, 2018.

1. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006

Advertisements

I've had the Premiere for many years now. We are not using it to record shows but primarily for the apps like Netflix.

What would happen if I removed the cablecard? Would I be able to keep using the Premiere just for the apps or would an annoying error repeatedly appear on the screen?

Please let me know. Thanks.

2. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Remove the CableCARD and redo Guided Setup for OTA (to avoid CableCARD message).

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'm guessing it's a dual coax input model?

As @DVR_Dave posted, you will need to repeat Guided Setup to avoid constant error messages. Specify "Install later" for the cable card.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The cable card is only used to access cable. The 2 tuner Premiere model can be used for Antenna and/or Cable, while the 4 tuner model is cable only.

You still would need Tivo (lifetime is best) service to use the apps, Netflix, youTube,etc.

5. Hrbek14

Hrbek14 New Member

Jun 11, 2013

Advertisements

This is a bit of an old thread, but beyond using the applications, will I be able to watch things I've already recorded on the Premiere XL if I remove the CableCARD? I do have lifetime service.

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    With service, you can do everything except watch encrypted channels. BTW, without the card, you can perform a channel scan. See what turns up. Also, when your feed has promotions for premier services, like HBO, scan again to find & watch them. The channel numbers will be weird, but it's free.