Can I use my Direct Tivo without DirectTV?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by eseltzer, Jan 16, 2006.

1. eseltzer

eseltzer New Member

Aug 9, 2003
    For various reasons I am considering cancelling my Direct TV service. Is it possible to hook up a normal antenna to my Direct Tivo and continue using it?

2. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Nope...

It is a DirecTV Reciever with TiVo (not the other way around).

You will be able to playback anything you recorded already, but that is it.

It doesn't contain the hardware components to accept any other signal then DirecTVs.

3. Zcuda

Zcuda New Member

Jan 22, 2006
    First off thank you for this post!!
    This post answered my question which now I need to sell this Direct tv tivo unit since I no longer use DirectTV. ! Again thank all of you for the time you put into this forum to help others with their question!!! Jason

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I wonder why this question has been asked quite a bit lately? :)

Is it because more subs are becoming disappointed with DirecTV?

5. disco

disco Father of Sam.

Mar 27, 2000
    Lake...
    Naahhh....that can't be it...

(I just downgraded my subscription from TC+ to TC today...)

6. Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze Back by popular demand

Nov 1, 2002
    The 75006...
    Could be. The first thing that pissed me off was the ST Superfan fiasco. Then it was the lack of HD channels in the HD package. Chip. Chip. Chip. I think my downgrade from the everything package to TC+ with HBO and Sports pack is coming real soon now.

7. shanew1289

shanew1289 New Member

May 6, 2004
    edwardsville...
    Cable Cards in my Big Screen, Tivo Series 3, I feel Directv is seeing what AOL saw as people went to Broadband. (Maybe a little early to claim)

Why o Why cant an organization see what is great and improve, not turn around and go another direction.

Charge me for HMO, make money, I pay for features. I am so glad I work for a small company.

8. Feb 6, 2006 #8 of 15
    Squonk

Squonk New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    I just recently got a R10 from weaknees with a 250 gb HD. I still have a Hughes DVR120 with recordings on the hard drive that I need to transfer to my DVD recorder. If I take all my cables and hook up the new R10, you are saying I can still play back the existing recordings from the Hughes so I can transfer them, without having the Directv sat signal, phone line etc hooked up to the old unit? That way I can connect another set of AV cables and clear out my older hard drive before I lose those recordings?

9. Feb 6, 2006 #9 of 15
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Yes.

10. goony

goony New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    I'll explain it this way: The only RECORDABLE INPUTS that an R10 has are satellite signals - i.e. cables that come from your sat dish. Period!! Thus, the R10 can ONLY RECORD FROM A DIRECTV SATELLITE SIGNAL - the R10 or any other DirecTivo DOES NOT OUTPUT A SATELLITE SIGNAL.

The various R10 OUTPUTS can SEND audio and video to other devices... such as a VCR, TV, DVD recorder, or a STANDALONE TIVO.

Turn the page.

If you happened to have two modified/hacked DTivos that are networked and have the MRV (multi-room) viewing function, then you could PULL the programs from the OLD DTivo to the NEW DTivo (via the Now Playing list). To do the MRV transfers neither of the boxes needs to have an active DirecTV subscription.

The R10 is very difficult to modify for networking as it must have a chip replaced on the mainboard; most other Series 2 DTivos lend themselves to being modified/hacked with reasonable ease (see the Zipper Method).
    Does that clear things up?

11. Squonk

Squonk New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    I understand that the Directivos only record sat signals, that really was not my question. The older Directivo that I am going to clear out recordings from is not the R10, its the Hughes. So I have hooked up and enabled my new R10 with all the sat inputs and phone lines, and unhooked everything from the Hughes. My question, which looks like it was answered, is I want to "play" my already stored recordings on my Hughes hard drive (ie output them) to a DVD recorder so that I can permanently archive them, without the Hughes being "hooked" up to Directv. In other words, can I still go to the Now playing list, pick lets say the Stones concert I recorded, play it or "save to VCR" it so that I can record that output to my DVD recorder, when it is NOT presently hooked up to Directv and the TIVO system. ie, I would just output the signal and record to DVD, without it being hooked up to Directv--will I able to do that without any problems?

12. DavidS

DavidS Member

Sep 27, 2000
    Dayton Ohio
    As Jim said. Yes. You can still play the recordings and record them to DVD. When you wrote "transfer", Goony apparently thought you meant tranfer from one D-Tivo to another.

13. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    either unplug the power or setup to have a unique remote ID to be sure you don't accidentally delete stuff from the old one. I learned this the hard way.

14. DarthLister

DarthLister New Member

Jan 13, 2004
    Louisville, KY

Is the chip soldered in or is there a socket?

Rich the inquisitive :confused:

15. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    soldered