Can I use a zippered drive in a different DTivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by funeral, Jul 4, 2007.

1. funeral

funeral New Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chicago Burbs

Advertisements

I have two 160gb drives that I zippered and have used in my DTivo's, I want to give the drives to my friend. Will the drives work properly if I install them in my friend's DTivo's and do a clear and delete so he can use them on his account?

2. Snowman

Snowman New Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    Not sure since it's got the serial number of the box in it. I tried using an IMAGE (virgin) from one of my Hughes Dtivos into my Samsung dtivo and it failed. Everything I've read said it should work, but it didn't.

3. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    The image should have worked fine if they were both S2 DTivos. Chances are it didn't restore properly for some reason. I'd try restoring it again. It could be that the image didn't backup properly the first time and resulted in a bad image.

4. BTUx9

BTUx9 back?

Nov 13, 2003
    Rockport, MA
    keep in mind with different images or drives, you'll get an error 51. That's because of an encryption key that won't match your current box.

Running 51killer.tcl fixes that, but if you had any encrypted recordings (made before the box was hacked), they will no longer play

5. Emad

Emad New Member

Jan 26, 2003

Advertisements

I finally downloaded 51killer.tcl, but now it's giving me permission denied, what give?

How do I fix that?

thanks

6. BTUx9

BTUx9 back?

Nov 13, 2003
    Rockport, MA
    hard to tell without seeing the exact error, but the 2 most likely are:
    - if it wasn't set to be executable (use chmod +x)
    - if dos line endings may have been introduced (try running dos2unix on it.)

7. Emad

Emad New Member

Jan 26, 2003
    okay got it, I had to type it all in caps. worked perfectly.