Can I use a tivo as a "cheap" dvr?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by hoots711, Jan 10, 2006.

1. hoots711

hoots711 New Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Ill quickly explain my situation and maybe you can tell me if a "ebay'd" tivo may be my best solution.

My POS cable company doesnt have dvr service yet (Just moved to Lehigh Valley PA). I have had dvr for the last 2 years and really cant live without it (maybe im exagerating a little). They are planning on adding dvr boxes but dont have a approx time (I was told it could be 1 month or 1 year......)

I havnt had a land line in 2-3 years. Only Cell phone

I will have 2-way cable internet

I dont need season pass or anything. I simply want to be able to go in on a sunday or monday and set up the 5 or 6 shows I would want to grab for that week (Although season pass would be nice, I can deal without it)

I am buying a new hdtv with multiple tuners. So I could put a dvr device on the 2nd tuner and really not use it for anything except recording and possibly PnP. But 95% of my tv navigation would be on the main tuner.

I dont want to pay 12+$ per month, nor do I want to shell out 500 for a dvr from a retailer. (Im so use to having dvr for 5$ a month)

So, can I buy a tivo on the cheap from ebay, throw it on my second tuner, and use it for nothing more than a dvr?

Thanks all.

Also looking for any other suggestions.

2. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    TiVos with lifetime service usually work out to quite a bit less than $5 per month once typical resale values after 4-6 years are factored in. You can save a few cents per month by not getting the service, but it's the hardware that depreciates while the service retains most of its value, so you don't save that much.

3. mportuesi

mportuesi As seen on TV

Nov 10, 2002
    San...
    If I'm not mistaken, the Series 2 units won't record without a subscription to the service.

Apparently there are some very old Series 1 units that are grandfathered under old terms of service agreements, and can do manual recording even when unsubscribed. But I can't imagine one of these units would be cheap to obtain via EBay.

4. dylanemcgregor

dylanemcgregor Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    So the basic answer is no, but you can spend $350 now for a TiVo and the lifetime service, and when your cable companies DVR became available you could most likely sell your TiVo for very close to $350, so total cost to you would be less than $50. You might even make money on the deal. :)

-Dylan

5. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    Some series 1 units will do this. I have four of them. PM if you are interested in buying one.

6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Shouldn't a thread about this be sticky-ized?