Can I use a non-DirecTV pvr (such as Tivo ser2) with DirecTV?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by i1patrick, Jan 10, 2006.

1. i1patrick

i1patrick New Member

Jan 10, 2006
    OK...noob alert. I'm new to this forum, so please forgive me if this has been well-covered in the past. With a lot of the shakeups between Dtv and Tivo, I am not clear on what currently is or isn't possible.

When I made my last home theater purchase a year or so ago, I was told (by semi-knowledgeable retail associates) that the *only* way to get DVR functionality with DirecTV was to use their Tivo-branded DVR. Now I am hearing that the non-DirecTV Tivo Series 2 units have many features that are enabled (USB, anyone?) which I would probably like to explore. However, they will NOT work with my DirecTV Tivo units.

All that said, is there a non-nightmareish way to use a non-DVR DirecTV receiver and connect it to a regular Tivo Series 2 unit? I know Tivo units are supposedly OK to work with cable boxes, so I'm not sure why it would not also work with a standard, basic DirecTV receiver...

2. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    A TiVo, INC reciever (the non-DirecTV) Series 2 boxes... WILL work with a DirecTV Reciever.
    You basically use a non-dvr DirecTV reciever as your "tuner" and feed it's output into your TiVo box. the TiVo box can control certain models of DirecTV Recievers.

Not really nightmarish... it is that they are just more "finiky" then the integrated combo units. The basis works the same way as if you needed to work with a cable box.

3. tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    When you select a DirecTV receiver to use with your Series 2 SA TiVo, you might look for one that allows a serial connection, because I have always found that IR control has always been lacking when it came to speed and reliability.

4. Mark Griswold

Mark Griswold New Member

Apr 22, 2003
    CT
    Just to complicate your decision making process, here's a few pros & cons of the integrated vs. standalone DVRS

Standalone
    + Supports Tivo-To-Go, Home Media Option and Multi Room Viewing (HMO/MRV)
    + Works with multiple signal sources (OTA, Cable, etc)
    - $12.99/month DVR fee, plus additonal ($6.99?) fees for each additional box
    - Needs seperate DTV receiver
    - Single Tuner only
    - Less recording capacity and low picture quality than integrated DTV/DVR

Integrated DTV/DVR with Tivo
    + flat $5.99 DVR fee, regardless of how many you have
    + Dual Tuners
    + Better picture quality and more recording space than standalone
    - Works only with Directv
    - No TTG/MRV/HMO unless you hack it

Note that you may or may not be able to get a Tivo branded DVR from Directv any longer, but they should be available from other DTV dealers. The new R15 that DTV offers does not have Tivo software, so the TTG/MRV/HMO isn't available from them either.

5. tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    Maybe a great thing to point out is that if he is technically capable or knows someone who is, that he could buy a pre-R10 Series 2 DirecTV with 70 hours of true recording capability, like a SD-DVR80 for $99, and it can be hacked for MRV and HMO, which could give him most of the best of both worlds. And with additional hacks that cannot be discussed, he could gain TiVo2Go capability.

6. Mark Griswold

Mark Griswold New Member

Apr 22, 2003
    CT
    Directv only charges the DVR fee once for all integrated DTV/Tivo receivers. This fee does not cover standalone Tivos. Standalone DVR fees are paid directly to Tivo, and are $12.99. If you aren't paying a fee for the Series 2 SA Tivo, chances are it has a lifetime sub.

7. WillRegister

WillRegister New Member

Jan 5, 2006
    Originally Posted by WillRegister
    Hi

I have just added a series 2 standalone to my existing system, Philips Directv Tivo, the cost of adding this to get Tivo functionality was $0.00.

We are already paying $5.99 for the original box and Directv only charge once for all of your boxes.

HTH

Will

Well what can I say, my Series 2 has just stopped working, and as Mark says I have to cough up for a Tivo subscription :(
    I spoke with Directv who denied all knowledge of the conversation earlier in the week, I think that they were confused about us already having a Directv Tivo, I was told that they have no plans to add networking capability, which is what I really wanted it for. Kinda stumped now, it was a suprise christmas present from the g/f and I very quickly thought that it wasn't going to work with Directv, never mind. It would be easier get an iPod and hook it in through the dock, at least no subscription fees.

You get 1 week free, and then it all stops, which for me, was tonight.

C'est la vie!

8. andbye

andbye New Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Sacramento
    I got a DVR 80 with TiVo software online from Value Electronics. and got the rebate . Some rebates get screwed up -- but I would think it was worth a shot vs getting a stand alone TiVo.