Can I use a HDVR2 without access card on the network for storage?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by fredload, Jan 22, 2006.

1. fredload

fredload New Member

Nov 2, 2003
    Arizona

Advertisements

I recently purchesed a used HDVR2 and replaced the drive and upgaded to 6.2 HMO. I already have two HDVR2's on the network and both have access cards and I pay for both. Can I add a third HDVR2 with no access card, that is not hooked up to the dish just for movie storage through the network. I don't want to waste a bunch time getting it imaged and ready if it will not work without an access card. I will not be using it to view only to move movies to and from. I searched the threads and really could not find the answer. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Brian R.

2. shanew1289

shanew1289 New Member

May 6, 2004
    edwardsville...
    You can, but with annoying pop ups.

TivoWebPlus will not function 100% due to no guide data, etc....

But it can hold a ton of movies you can pull from, I have 3 for this purpose.

I use two to watch the recorded movies and use an old access card to get rid of popups. Just hit clear of you have a good non activated access card.

3. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Yes, this will work.

However, for best results you should put some kind of card in there (deactivated or not) so you can make the nagscreen about no access card go away. Pull out your access card in one of your units to see for yourself how this would look.

4. willardcpa

willardcpa QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Feb 23, 2001
    Eugene, OR USA
    So, I don't think he has to worry about popups and nagscreens. ;)

5. bsnelson

bsnelson Mid-life anti-crisis in progress TCF Club

Oct 30, 1999
    Frisco, TX, USA

Advertisements

Well, except that MRV can't push, it can only pull, so he'd have to face the nags when he went to pull movies to the unsubbed machine.

Assuming he's doing MRV and not one of the other methods...

Brad

6. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    You may get the "Searching for satellite signal" banner across the bottom of the screen if you don't have it connected to your dish. Any old P4 or P5 access card will work in the unit if you only want to use it as a dummy terminal for MRV. You'll get a nag screen to activate your DVR service when you first access the Now Playing list and you also won't be able to access any of the Tivo-specific menus like the guide, Showcases, etc. Other than that there's no problem setting up for MRV like you described.

I've got a DSR704 that's subbed but it's currently residing in my son's bedroom while he's home from college. I have a Samsung DTivo in my basement set up for MRV to access the shows being recorded on the subbed unit in my son's room. I just transfer them over to the Samsung and watch them at my leisure. I do have the Samsung connected to the sat feed to eliminate the nag screen.

7. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    I have a un-subbed DSR-7000 that I bought as a shell from Weaknees for $35, delivered. I loaded up the 6.2 software onto a drive, and popped it into the unit. I stuck an old P3 access card into the slot. It is attached to my Slingbox to provide an independant playback device. I get no nag screens or other messages during playback. Once I go back to the menus, it periodically attempts to get satellite information, which of course fails, so I see that message when I reconnect to the Slingbox. Just hit the "List" button and you go straight to Now Playing. You'd only see "Searching for satellite..." during programming output if you try to watch live TV.

In the OP's situation, he will need to have a TV attached to operate the menus, as bsnelson points out, but since he only needs to use it as a storage device he can insert an old credit card. All you need to do is trip the microswitch in the card reader. You'll still get "Please insert a valid access card" if you playback something on the locally attached TV, but MRV will work fine.

8. fredload

fredload New Member

Nov 2, 2003
    Arizona
    Thanks for all of the info. I have an old access card I can use to eliminate the nag screens, and it will be hooked up through my entertainment system so I can see the screen when transferring movies from the other units. I appreciate the feedback. Thanks again, Brian R.